My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
All depends on type of snow
light and fluffy you push no problem.
Wet and heavy problem.

Though if you make a pile you can't push just put the blower on and problem solved.

How long to switch from blade to blower and can you due that in a warm shop?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
All depends on type of snow
light and fluffy you push no problem.
Wet and heavy problem.

Though if you make a pile you can't push just put the blower on and problem solved.

How long to switch from blade to blower and can you due that in a warm shop?
99% of the snow we get is powder. This time of year its so cold it is never wet and heavy.

The blade and blower are quick hitch and both stored in heated shop. Minutes to change.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
With my 54" plow, it's attached to a Snapper Pro 52" hydro mower, replacing the mowing deck out front. For snow when it's cold out (so, relatively light, but can be fluffy or wind-blown), it can push the snow, full width, filled to the top, with snow spilling out both sides. Your tractor should be fine with the plow being 66" wide.

Worse case, you can't quite take a full-width pass.

You may want to be careful with those scoops though, as they hang out that much further. It wouldn't surprise me if that 1" bar bends if you tag something with the scoops at speed.

·
21,375 Posts
With my 54" plow, it's attached to a Snapper Pro 52" hydro mower, replacing the mowing deck out front. For snow when it's cold out (so, relatively light, but can be fluffy or wind-blown), it can push the snow, full width, filled to the top, with snow spilling out both sides. Your tractor should be fine with the plow being 66" wide.

Worse case, you can't quite take a full-width pass.

You may want to be careful with those scoops though, as they hang out that much further. It wouldn't surprise me if that 1" bar bends if you tag something with the scoops at speed.
The first pass is always full width.

A 66" blade is 22% wider than a 54" blade, but if you watch the snow in front of a blade while plowing, you will see that it is disturbed as much as the width of the blade in front of the blade. The difference for that is a 50% increase in square footage (with the resulting friction component for pushing that much area).

To push a wider blade requires an exponential increase in traction and axle torque. It is not a straight line calculation.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The pusher I built for my 4x4 x749 is 64" wide and 24" deep. It uses all available traction to push it when full. The trouble with going smaller is.....you will wish it was bigger sometimes. The trouble with going bigger is....you will wish it was smaller sometimes. Since your pusher is only for light snow and you have the blower for the heavy stuff, I say give it a try. With a pile of weight and chains on the rear we might all be surprised what that machine can do.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
The pusher I built for my 4x4 x749 is 64" wide and 24" deep. It uses all available traction to push it when full. The trouble with going smaller is.....you will wish it was bigger sometimes. The trouble with going bigger is....you will wish it was smaller sometimes. Since your pusher is only for light snow and you have the blower for the heavy stuff, I say give it a try. With a pile of weight and chains on the rear we might all be surprised what that machine can do.
Is the welding table hanging on the wall worth a ****??? I was thinking of getting one for work outside.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Those turned out nice! Please let us know how they work and how the machine handles that big boy!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts