My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got it started , it's going to be a a 25 gal(?) with a sump pump ,the top of the barrel was cut off and welded onto the bottom for the stand part , the pump will branch off into two pipes one with a garden hose end and the other will shoot out at a angle , still rounding up some pipe but so far i have $0 dollars in it , here are the pictures so far , needed to make it wider at the top for the lid to set on , didn't have any fancy tools but wedged a piece of plastic in till i welded a patch in place .had to use a split rubber pipe for the top as it is VERY SHARP , put hinge on it today , commits and suggestions welcome .

shd

Attachments

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and some more

Attachments

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and just one more

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wouldnt use PVC pipe, or anything plastic for that matter. I'm not sure what your using for cleaning agent but some stuff will eat plastic. Looks like a good project, i was thinking of making a snowplow out of half of a 55 gallon drum, still havent gotten to it but i think it would work well with a little reinforcement .

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will have more $$$ in it when you fill it...
unless i catch rain water , and steal momma's dawn detergent , i'am going for water base cleaning . yesterday i made pump risers out of scrap .

shd

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
My workshop is unheated so I use diesel fuel in my parts washer. It is cheap enough and easy to get rid of. I don't use it alot I've had the same fuel in it for 3 years or so and it is still fine. It is great on engine parts and things don't flash rust after. I was curious if any body else uses diesel in their parts washer? Ed

·
Clod Buster
26 Posts
I use paint thinner but I think diesel is cheaper. I think I'll givre it a try.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
It depends on what you want, If you use diesel the parts will be oily when you are done. You cannot paint them without degreasing them first. For engine parts it is great and you don't have to worry about them rusting if you leave them out overnight. It is not as good a solvent as thinner but it is also less explosive! ED

·
Super Moderator
31,846 Posts
I have not got rid of it yet, so I dont know. :D Going on like three years now, still works great!!

And mine is in my garage. Its not heated, but is attached to the house,so only gets down to about upper 30's, but it has always stayed fluid.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,460 Posts
I had one I made from a 15 gallon drum that formerly held laquer thinner,and I used a small stainless steel sink from a tent trailer camper for the wash basin..used a 12V boat bilge pump to power it,and though I figured it may not live long being submerged in cleaning solvent long,I used it for 15+ years and my brother still has it I think..

I had to put a screen over the hose and in the drain on the sink to catch the dirt,I used a commercial strainer off a
"Safe-T-Kleen" parts washer on the sink drain too,that looked like a nylon stocking with a rubber band made into it..they were cheap,and my friend got them for the one in his shop,and gave me a few..I put a ball valve in the pump hose so I could throttle back the pressure,it was a bit too poerful without it and would splash..I used mineral Spirits and diesel fuel in it at first,but also tried the Safe-T-Kleen fliud when my friends parts washer was having its fluid changed on a schedule and was barely used,the gut gave me a 5 gal.pail of it..it worked great ..

I also tried some Castrol "Super Clean" and water,about a 75/25% mix,but it tended to be too rough on aluminum parts like pistons and small engine blocks,it would pit them of left on it too long..(stuff strips paint off engines like crazy too,you guys may not want to wash your new tractors engine off with that stuff!)..

I dont do much parts washing now,so I've gone back to a brush and some gas or diesel fuel when I need to de-grease something..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts