My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Wow!

First off, Welcome to the forums.
Wanted to say - After looking closely at it's construction and assembly it's very impressive. Given the choice of what's available today and what you've built (and I had a choice to pick) I'd be taking notes or asking you to build one for me - for monetary compensation of course ;).

·
Deceased Member
2,028 Posts
Nice work :fing32:

If you haven't thought of it already...another piece of square tube, some flat stock, a piece of heavy wall round tube, and you would have a sleeve hitch as well.

·
Young Bolens Collector
1,474 Posts
Very Cool! Those york rakes come in handy a lot.

·
Registered
844 Posts
:MTF_wel2: Ethanovation.

NICE!!! Looks really strong. I see your design coming in real handy on that sleeve hitch with a mod to include a plug-in pin adapter for other tools like a moldboard, discs and whatnot.
:thThumbsU

:trink39:

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Don't you love it when a plan comes together. You will get many hours of use out it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ethan, nice work.

Your receiver mount is a great idea. It is the inspiration I need to break out my welder and make a mount for a 1 7/8 ball, so I can drag my utility trailer around with my 800. I'm going to copy your basic frame design and modify it for the ball.
Thanks for the pics!

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Very nice work I like it!

·
Registered
844 Posts
:MTF_wel2: Ethanovation.

NICE!!! Looks really strong. I see your design coming in real handy on that sleeve hitch with a mod to include a plug-in pin adapter for other tools like a moldboard, discs and whatnot.
:thThumbsU

:trink39:
After some "shopping" for York rakes (and equivelent other brands) I did find the parts for making one of these and I must say "What a price difference".

Found the tines for $4 ea. and the rake tine holders 2" centers (holds down 6 tines) for $2 each. I estimate about $60 in steel and hardware.
So 24 tines and 4 holders and steel/Hardware is about $160.00 for what they are selling for around $600+.

And I see you can fab a box blade, plow blade and such to fit over the tines to make it a multi tool.

Again, thanks for sharing your GREAT work and for giving me a Spring project for my Bolens 1053.
:congrats:

·
Registered
36 Posts
COOL!!!!

Where did you find the tines and tine holders? got me thinking I can do this.

·
Registered
844 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I made the same type of hitch for my 1054 a few years ago for a little 1 bottom plow. It works great. Might have to make a rake sometime to fit in my hitch.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Nice and easy to make with the 2" center holders .....I've wanted to make one for my 1000, but didn't know where to come up with the tines. TSC only has the spring tines like for a hay rake and I wanted something a little heavier. This is perfect....thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Found this thread after already deciding to build my own rake. Very nice job there... and thanks for the pictures!!! They help a lot.

I decided to build a sleeve hitch before starting my rake project. I should be able to finish up the mount tonight, and then I can start my rake. Just gotta pick up a few parts on my way home.

So back on topic...
I found the tines, as many others have, at agrisupply for $4. I was all ready to place the order for 30 tines (5 foot rake) UNTIL I saw their shipping charges to UT. Holy cow Batman... $56? Really? That's 1/2 the cost of my total order (30 tines x $4). No thanks!!! I just can't do that...

So, I did some more fine Google work, and located the same tines (hardened, made in Italy, etc.) for $5 each, with FREE shipping. So, if you're out West like I am, and you want to save a little on shipping, check out http://www.agristoreusa.com/products/one-hole-landscape-rake-tine instead. I saved $26 by doing it this way.

I'm hoping to have the frame all welded up and pre-drilled by the time the tines arrive. I'm still unclear on how I'm going to deal with the rake angle adjustment. I've seen several different methods used... but haven't decided which way to go on mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts