My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pie R Round
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having fun using the FEL to tear out a bunch of brush in my back 40, but I had started to get nervous about the grill and headlights. The FEL comes with a brush guard that mounts on the front end, and I'm sure helps prevent large logs from hitting the grill, but not the smaller stuff. Saturday was a nice day, so I got some 3/4" angle iron and a 2' X 2" section of expanded steel from the home improvement store. I dragged my grinder and welder into the driveway, and the pictures below show the result. It even still allows me to fold the brush guard down.

Bill

Attachments

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,894 Posts
That came out really sharp, Bill. Nice work, thanks for sharing!

·
Pie R Round
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the nice comments, guys!

The "contrasting color" was actually my wife's idea, but of course, she was right!

Bill

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I added the expanded metal right on the guard itself. It's kept me from denting the front of the grill and it looks nice. slkpk

·
Pie R Round
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I added the expanded metal right on the guard itself. It's kept me from denting the front of the grill and it looks nice. slkpk
I saw that you did that, but I don't have that kind of confidence in the looks of my welding, and I wanted the option to be able to remove it easily if I should ever have the desire to. Yours does have a clean, OEM look to it. :thThumbsU

Bill

·
-Brandon-
659 Posts
Looks good! Great idea! :fing32:

·
Pie R Round
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Pie R Round
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks great:fing32: Is it welded or bolted to the oem guard?
It's bolted. I wanted the option to remove it. I noticed today that will be handy for touching up the paint!

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Member of the 0.4k Club!!
412 Posts
Double dittos to everyone else's! That is a heckuva good idea. That expanded metal would sure reduce chances of something poking right through the grill guard into the radiator. Dang late-season pigweed can get awfully stiff down here.

Good job, & thanks again for the good idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts