My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
I do realize a Gravely starter is the best way to go on a Gravely but where would I put the battery, if I did wind up with one dirt cheap as in some one knocking on my door and saying "excuse me Sir. I was wondering if you would like this thing called a electric starter for a Gravely that Im on my way to the dump to dispose of?"
But if there is a place for a battery on my L model I cant find it so it would have to be some kind of portable thing.
I recon I'll just not worry about it because by the time I get my deck ready and the finishing touches or tunes I may be in good enuf shape to crank the fire out of it.
Im supposed to go back to work Tuesday after labor day. The unemployment owes me 4,300.00 as of me calling them today, now I just wish they would get it to me. That stimulas money is about to run out.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
I do realize a Gravely starter is the best way to go on a Gravely but where would I put the battery,
The electric start kit for L model gravelys included a battery tray which mounts over the advance casting. It bolts on using the two 3/8" handlebar mounting bolts, and two of the 5/16 bolts which hold the advance casting on. It partially covers the PTO control, which means that people generally put the remote PTO handle on at the same time.

There's a homemade example here:

As you say, another option is to mount the starter on the machine, but not bother with the battery. Keep that on a cart or something and hook up when you need to start it. That works ok as long as you don't go 1/2 mile out into the bush, stall the machine, and need to restart it :)

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
The electric start kit for L model gravelys included a battery tray which mounts over the advance casting. It bolts on using the two 3/8" handlebar mounting bolts, and two of the 5/16 bolts which hold the advance casting on. It partially covers the PTO control, which means that people generally put the remote PTO handle on at the same time.

There's a homemade example here:
[/URL][/URL]

As you say, another option is to mount the starter on the machine, but not bother with the battery. Keep that on a cart or something and hook up when you need to start it. That works ok as long as you don't go 1/2 mile out into the bush, stall the machine, and need to restart it :)
If I ever went 1/2 a mile out in the bush I will s*** a starter believe me lol!
It would be a life long dream to have that much land to cover. If I was goin out that far Id be checkin out one of those DR Brush cutters I see on the comercials all of the time. a

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
If I ever went 1/2 a mile out in the bush I will s*** a starter believe me lol!
It would be a life long dream to have that much land to cover. If I was goin out that far Id be checkin out one of those DR Brush cutters I see on the comercials all of the time. a
My God I typed that last night and didnt post it I guess.
Anyhow jrd my delima is my son can pull start the tractor when he gets it but prob is normally I can for instance up till this spring I could have pulled on it all day but Ive got myself all messed up right now and cant and really would hate to spend $300 clams on something that he can buy if he wants it.
I just need to see if it functions when I get the deck put back together and on it and stuff.
I just need to start it a half a dozen times or so hopefully and then when all is right I can take it to him.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts