My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Two Wild Turkeys - over ice.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Reading these post, I have a question. How often has a a crankshaft nut been twisted off (destroying the crankshaft) while using the starters that uses a socket on the crankshaft nut? I have a few starter/generators I could use with a belt reduction to the crankshaft nut. It just doesn't look right using the crankshaft nut.

BUD

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Reading these post, I have a question. How often has a a crankshaft nut been twisted off (destroying the crankshaft) while using the starters that uses a socket on the crankshaft nut? I have a few starter/generators I could use with a belt reduction to the crankshaft nut. It just doesn't look right using the crankshaft nut.

BUD
Look up how much torque the nut the size of the one on the crankshaft will take.

It would take the torque of a V8 engine to damage this nut/threads. (300 lb. ft. or more) The drill will only output about 30 lb.ft..

The reason this works so well is the engine just barely has enough compression to run. The low compression makes rotation very easy.

These are not high compression like newer engines. They would run well on very low octane fuel.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
What you need is an old Ford starter like this one. It has no bell over the flywheel end of the starter. I put a rubber cone shaped wheel on the end of the starter and a rope cup on the engine. this way the engine wont rip the starter from your hands when it tries to start.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-FIESTA-MK1-950-1100-1300-LUCAS-STARTER-MOTOR-LRS298-1977-80-NEW-OLD-STOCK-/320801286731?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab13f2a4b

I also put a push button that controls the solenoid that spins the starter on the Tee handle I mount to hold the starter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Everytime I see the term "TWT" I immediately think Traveling Wave Tube. How geeky is that? That is one of many leftovers from a previous career.
That's what I thought too.

I've got STARTERS for Gravelys but they don't generate. Putting some kind of little alternator to charge the battery and allow a distributor instead of a mag would be nice. All you need is a crank trigger to run a HEI module and fire a coil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Although I have been told it is unsafe, I have safely started TWT's for 30 years with a 1/2" drill and a socket/adapter.

I am 6'6", so that drill doesn't scare me.

The 850rpm Porter Cable I bought 10 years ago works fine.

If it looks too dangerous, get an overrunning clutch off a 8N PTO and put it in the middle.
I've seen impact guns used but I don't know if that is good for the crank.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The generator/starter will not work with a one to one ratio. I just installed one on my Wisconsin AEH 7hp on my Gibson D tractor. It was new old stock as I bought it in 1974 but had never installed it. I had to use a pulley reduction of 1 to 1.75 to get it to turn over the motor at a fast enough speed to crank the AEH engine Since this engine was manufactured in March of 1948, it has a mag for ignition but not a way to charge a battery. I have not installed a voltage regulator so I just charge the battery when it needs it instead of using the starter/generator. There is not danger of it over speeding as it is designed for that speed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I tried using an impact wrench, but the fact that it operates by repeating impact instead of with a constant torque makes it unsuitable. I'll try an electric drill some time when I'm feeling reckless and see how that works.

But I'm thinking the simple solution would be to steal a Model L starter / gear / chain setup from an existing tractor and mounting it on a separate frame with a battery.

Too bad my rigs are all pull start. . . just might have to get another one. :hide:

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Which is one reason I'm building a TWT with a Westchester engine. Although it will be a wide wheelbased one and having a 50" deck out front. With Hand Brakes.

TWT? What dos this mean?

Don you seem to have the cool old Gravely goodies, I'd love to get my hands on a Westchester.

Sent from the MTF Free App using a device with auto correct

·
Registered
695 Posts
NO ! :Stop:

This CAN / WILL destroy a crankshaft / related parts, especially on an engine with a tapered pulley / flywheel mounting.

I split a flywheel on a late-model B&S using an impact gun instead of a drill. :maddd::bonk::banghead3

DON'T DO IT ! :fing32:

·
Registered
695 Posts
That's basically what a friend of mine that lived in OH - Jerry Donahue - designed to facilitate working on both electric and non-electric starters more easily. In essence a portable, mirror image of Gravely's electric start system. He'd planned on making more units but moved West.
This is a neat rig, but we're still driving the engine via the crankshaft nut...

A starter from a Ford six between 1956 & 62 will be 12 volts, and should be adaptable, as both bearings are in the starter body, with just a stub-shaft protruding for the Bendix Folo-Thru starter drive ( "pull-in bendix" ).

Delco and Autolite (MoPar) starters all have "nose-cones" I believe...

Although, the Gravely starter sprocket MIGHT be small enough to fit inside a nose cone ?

How about a a deal using the reduction set-up, but driving the engine via a belt and the crank pulley. Could rig a brace-rod and fulcrum lever to provide the necessary tension... this idea is more of a shop-tool, as you would have to disconnect the regular fan belt...

OR, Run a Vee-belt ( or even a flat gilmer or serpentine belt) over the strap-pulley - then you don't have to disturb the regular vee-belt. AND, you might be able to dispense with the expensive ( and fussy) Gravely sprocket-clutch.
:howdy:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hmmm.... I still have the starter motor from an old Kawasaki 14 horse engine that blew up on my garden tractor. It's a great starter, with a bendix mechanism included. I wonder if there's a way to rig it up with a belt . . .

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Perfect! If a 12 volt starter motor isn't available, a 3/4 or 1 hp 1725 RPM motor should work too.
Considering what Ive been hearing about the possibilities of breaking that shaft the pulley-nut is on I wiuld be more comfortable making sum starting machine that just turned the pulley itself, like something that will grip pulley like a wheel puller just for the shape of it and maybe even have do drill 3 or so small as possible to work holes in pulley to attach something to it ( roll up to it , not permanently) but not affect the pulley spinning true or weaken it.
Might sound kinda off the hook but if anything is gonna crank the dickens out of that nut on pulley and it will break iffn shaller n when whats the use?

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Dealers did it from the nut and so have alot of people. Works fine for me. Only thing that will tighten it more is an impact.
DSC02068.JPG

I will say a half rounded nut is a rounded off nut. Some I've had to put a new nut on before used my electric start cart

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Dealers did it from the nut and so have alot of people. Works fine for me. Only thing that will tighten it more is an impact.
View attachment 2458113
I will say a half rounded nut is a rounded off nut. Some I've had to put a new nut on before used my electric start cart
View attachment 2458113
I wanna have the Gravely hobby for the rest of my life, cant afford to restore old MOPARS and got more guns than I can even shoot much less need but I gotta get myself back to decent health or Im gonna need something to start em with.
And plus I at least wanna get one that runs wich I more than likely did but took it apart first but that was my mistake.
What I worry about w/a drill like mine and I guess the rest of them to is the initial shock of it coming on. All of a sudden its like full on blazin. Would be nice to have some kind of spring or something to dampen it at the initial power burst.
P.S. Nice looking rig.

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
I wanna have the Gravely hobby for the rest of my life, cant afford to restore old MOPARS and got more guns than I can even shoot much less need but I gotta get myself back to decent health or Im gonna need something to start em with.
And plus I at least wanna get one that runs wich I more than likely did but took it apart first but that was my mistake.
What I worry about w/a drill like mine and I guess the rest of them to is the initial shock of it coming on. All of a sudden its like full on blazin. Would be nice to have some kind of spring or something to dampen it at the initial power burst.
P.S. Nice looking rig.
Is that a Gravely starting sprocket or flywheel on that starter?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts