My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I now own about 8 different gravely walk behinds, one li, two ls's, two l8's and 3 regular l's and all with no electric start you can probily see where I'm going with this. I was wondering if I could take a generator starter since I have a bunch just laying around, take it and mount it on a plate with a jack shaft. And one one end would be where the generator starter and jack shaft would be connected via belt. At the other end of the shaft would be a socket somehow fashioned to the end, where it would go on to the big nut on the end of the crank which holds the pulley on. My question is, would the gen-starter have enough guts to turn over the gravelys on just a one to one gear ratio?:thanku:

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I do not think that a starter/generator would work on the Gravely engine. It worked on the C10 because of the compression release. The sprocket speed reduction on the SC is impressive. It needs to be.

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planing on bolting the gen-starter and jack shaft to a big piece of plate and putting it on wheels so I can wheel the starting unit around in my barn from gravely to gravely. Then hooking up a push button switch to it and a battery. So I could wheel the starting unit behind my gravely slide the socket on hit the pushbutton and it spin over the motor.

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm Basically using the same idea as using a hand drill to turn over a small motor, just on a larger scale

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I was planing on bolting the gen-starter and jack shaft to a big piece of plate and putting it on wheels so I can wheel the starting unit around in my barn from gravely to gravely.
That is different. Gravely dealers made a similar setup years ago to start tractors that were brought in for repair. It saved a lot of time and wear and tear on the mechanics.

I think the starter pack is described in one of the old dealer newsletters.

Basically it consisted of a 15/16"(size correct?) socket on the end of a starter motor.

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's exactly what I have in mind but instead of using a gravely type starter, since everybody wants an arm and a leg for them I would use a generator starter on my set up.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
If I recall correctly the starter motor the dealers used was bigger than a normal gravely starter. I could be wrong. Ideally a gear reduction starter motor would be best but that would not be easy.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
http://oldgravelys.net/pdf/Bulletin_454_19521224.pdf

The link above isn't what I was thinking of. There is another document that described a portable unit that drove the nut/bolt at the end of the crankshaft. It even had a picture of the unit.

SC stands for Super Convertible.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
. Something like this is what I want to base my plans off of

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
. Something like this is what I want to base my plans off of
That's basically what a friend of mine that lived in OH - Jerry Donahue - designed to facilitate working on both electric and non-electric starters more easily. In essence a portable, mirror image of Gravely's electric start system. He'd planned on making more units but moved West.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Perfect! If a 12 volt starter motor isn't available, a 3/4 or 1 hp 1725 RPM motor should work too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I developed a starter/generator system for the L-series engine, and it works well. It took a lot of work and research to come up with the right size starter, pulleys, etc., necessary to make it work, but it does.

The problem with it is the parts - modern components are just not well made like they used to be, so you have to go to the expensive stuff to get anything that will last. This pushes the cost way up, and makes them unfeasable to sell as a kit, which I had originally hoped to do.

Perhaps I will build another one and take lots of pictures, draw it up, and make the plans available.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I doubt that an induction motor that can be powered from a 110V outlet is going to have the torque to whack over a Gravely engine, even with a gear reduction. The critical component of this idea is the over-running clutch, otherwise your cranking motor will become a brake as soon as the engine starts, resulting is an unscrewed flywheel or pulley nut.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Although I have been told it is unsafe, I have safely started TWT's for 30 years with a 1/2" drill and a socket/adapter.

I am 6'6", so that drill doesn't scare me.

The 850rpm Porter Cable I bought 10 years ago works fine.

If it looks too dangerous, get an overrunning clutch off a 8N PTO and put it in the middle.

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Although I have been told it is unsafe, I have safely started TWT's for 30 years with a 1/2" drill and a socket/adapter.

I am 6'6", so that drill doesn't scare me.

The 850rpm Porter Cable I bought 10 years ago works fine.

If it looks too dangerous, get an overrunning clutch off a 8N PTO and put it in the middle.
OK if Ron can ask what an SC is - didn't know that one either - I'll risk asking what a TWT is.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Everytime I see the term "TWT" I immediately think Traveling Wave Tube. How geeky is that? That is one of many leftovers from a previous career.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts