My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on this board made one or converted one to work on a Gravely walk behind? I am interested in a chipper/shredder for my gravely but they seem pretty rare here in WI. If you have made one can you post pictures?

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
The trick is finding one that is in current production that will work at 900 RPM. Either that of rigging up some sort of 1:4 drive.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Just remember that those low HP chipper-shredders [5HP to 10HP] are intended for shredding grass and leaves and very light brush [no more than about 1" diameter].

And, even there, they will tend to choke on wet leaves.

To be able to chip the proverbial 3" to 4" limb, you're gonna wanna be up around 20HP [which means a 20G with a front PTO].

Low HP chipper-shredders are more of a gimmick [for the suburbanite with the 0.25 acre lawn] than they are a serious tool for someone who's doing lots of bushwacking out in the countryside.

PS: As with any cutting device, working with sharp blades is infinitely more enjoyable than working with dull blades.

But sharp blades cost $$$s in both materials and service time [even if you're just re-sharpening existing blades].

PPS: If you put a "shredding" cover on a classical 30" Gravely direct-drive mowing deck, then it's said to do a fantastic job on e.g. piles of leaves or piles of hay.

·
Registered
795 Posts
WW-Grinder made an excellent grinder /shredder late 70s to early 80s? for the gravely walk behind. It worked awesome and i put some pretty good size branches down it. Heavy unit. Wished i never sold it! Use a troybilt portable unit now and it will take up to 2 inch branches and somewhat bigger if i go easy. 10 H.P. Serves my needs well. C.V.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
There are a couple of these that can be used on BCS tractors - PTO speed is 990 RPM if I recall correctly. It will take some modification, but if you're willing to do it...

http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/html/bcs_implements.html

Looking at $1000 - $1500 or so plus cost of modifications.

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
Has anyone on this board made one or converted one to work on a Gravely walk behind? I am interested in a chipper/shredder for my gravely but they seem pretty rare here in WI. If you have made one can you post pictures?
I have the Mackissic made for Gravely attachment. It does an awesome job. You need a commercial or Pro tractor for it. I would not recommend an "L" tractor for this attachment. Mackissic still makes this shredder and someone (don't remember who) said Mackissic would make more if they could get an order for 12 units. They won't make one. If you are going to try and retro fit one yourself buy the Mackissic 12p/pt/pte and copy the Gravely attachment design. Mine is the newer model with the front swivel wheels. The earlier model had skids out front. The wheels are better.http://www.mackissic.com/HSC_12P.html - Kris :rauch10:

·
Banned
647 Posts
Wow - that's a gorgeous looking unit.

I'm more familiar with the older units, which had the Gravely PTO attach to a wheel-driven [rubber] pulley belt.

Yours almost looks like it's a direct drive [?!?].

Can you get a photo from the ground looking up at the drive?

Is there any pulley belt rubber at all?

Or is it only metal gears?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a great looking unit, I also like the larger tires. What size are those? I am thinking of putting an ad on the local craigslist to see if I can get a chipper/shredder with a bad engine that I can convert to run off my gravely. I have a commercial 12 with a fresh .020 over rebuild, so it should have enough power to handle most of what I might find on CL.

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
Wow - that's a gorgeous looking unit.

I'm more familiar with the older units, which had the Gravely PTO attach to a wheel-driven [rubber] pulley belt.

Yours almost looks like it's a direct drive [?!?].

Can you get a photo from the ground looking up at the drive?

Is there any pulley belt rubber at all?

Or is it only metal gears?

Thanks.
I don't have a pic from underneath but it is a belt drive. If look closely at the middle pic you can see the top pulley with the belt on the left side. There is a schematic of the early one here: http://www.oldgravelys.net/pdf/MacKissic_Attachments.pdf

Kris:rauch10:

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
That is a great looking unit, I also like the larger tires. What size are those? I am thinking of putting an ad on the local craigslist to see if I can get a chipper/shredder with a bad engine that I can convert to run off my gravely. I have a commercial 12 with a fresh .020 over rebuild, so it should have enough power to handle most of what I might find on CL.
Carlisle 18X9.50x8

Kris :rauch10:

·
Legend in my own mind
210 Posts
I know this thread is old, but I came across these pix of a chipper. Thought it might be of interest to someone.

Looks well built.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,732 Posts
I know this thread is old, but I came across these pix of a chipper. Thought it might be of interest to someone.

Looks well built.
Wonder who built it?

Thursday I used my Gravely 310 Chipper again. Feeding 3" Longan branches into it put the Kohler 582 beg at times. With the engine running 3600 RPM no load and with the size of the fan and flywheel/cutter head when a really long branch is fed in, the carb goes wide open with a cloud of smoke. Problem with having such a big unit as the 310 is that you will be worn out by the end of the day. One person cannot keep up with the machine.

PS: It guzzles fuel too.

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
would love to see some pictures of that Don.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have an old Mackissic chipper/shredder. I got it free (actually $1 but that's another story) years ago and replaced the 5hp B&S with a 10hp Tecumseh W/cast iron cylinder sleeve. I also added a larger centrifugal clutch at the recommendation of the company after I called them about putting on a larger engine . Other additions were a tow bar, wider axle and larger wheels. The way they are built I think It would have no trouble with 12hp. My neighbor just got one in great condition for $30 at an auction. So far he is happy with 5hp. It came with 3 different size screens. Two looked like they were never used, those screens are $120 each new.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts