My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just fabbed this bucket up for my Case 220. it is somewhat similiar to simplelifes design but I am not done yet. I still have to finalize the hinge pins, fab up a cutting edge, and figure out how I am going to open it to dump the material. I will either use a mechanical lever or some type of winch or actuators. The sheet steel is 3/16" and the angle steel on top is 1/4" thick. So far, the only issue I see is that it is a lot harder to turn the tractor. I can just imagine how hard its going to be with dirt in the bucket. I think Im going to pick up a few spare steering parts just in case something breaks.

Once I am happy with the results I will have it painted along with the rest of the tractor. I have a ton of new parts waiting to go on once the tractor is out of the paint shop.

Anyway, here are some pics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very nice work. It looks good. A few questions you may want to consider.

If you are having trouble steering the tractor with the empty bucket what are your plans to steer it with a full bucket of dirt? Have you considered what traction you will have on the rear wheels when you are trying to fill the bucket going into a pile? How much weight will you need on the back to counter balance a full bucket of dirt?

Before you spent a lot of time and money you may want to consider these questions, and others.....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice work. It looks good.

If you are having trouble steering the tractor with the empty bucket what are your plans to steer it with a full bucket of dirt?

I wish you well, please report back when you try it out.
I dont know yet. Maybe more air in the tires. I have to wait until my 60yds of dirt gets here

·
Registered
833 Posts
Very nice fab work ////// loooooking good !!

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More air in the tires? 60 yards of dirt?

If you are really trying to do this please think again. It won't work.
Ok mr. know it all, please tell me why you think I cant move dirt with my tractor?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok mr. know it all, please tell me why you think I cant move dirt with my tractor?
Well you can move 60 yards of soil with a teaspoon if you want to but it will take a loooong time.

Fill your bucket as it is with soil, lift it up somehow and then chain it up and then try to drive and steer the tractor.
After this try to imagine trying to drive the tractor into a pile of dirt to fill the bucket.

Let us know how that works.

Trying to save you money and grief.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YOUR trying to save me money?? Last time I checked I was trying to save myself money by NOT having to hire someone to spread this loom out throughout my yard I could care less how long it takes me. I moved 60 yds of loom by WHEELBARROW and shovel last summer so dont tell me about grief. Ya, it took forever and it was a lot of hard work but im not afraid of hard work once in awhile and I bet I saved myself $800-$1000 by not having a guy come down with his backhoe. Im married with 3 kids so $100 to me is like $100,000 to others.
If this bucket can only be filled half way then that still better then filing a wheelbarrow and hauling it 200 feet.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You also mentioned chaining it up? Why the **** would i need to chain it up? The hydraulics will hold it in place. I also have 200 lbs of weights for the back of the tractor. Do you own a Case tractor?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You also mentioned chaining it up? Why the **** would i need to chain it up? The hydraulics will hold it in place. I also have 200 lbs of weights for the back of the tractor. Do you own a Case tractor?
I would chain it up to try it as a test before I spent money on hydraulics.
{ Oh, you are expecting the original hydraulics to lift that bucket full of dirt? }
:eek:mg:

I own 2 Case tractors, 2 Ingersolls. a 75 hp White FWD tractor loader, and a dozen other pieces of light construction equipment.

I'm not looking to argue, give it a try. I may be wrong. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont need to spend money on hydraulics, the tractor already has hydraulics and a lift cylinder for the blade built into it and the bucket will work as a clamshell once I finish putting the lever on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I dont need to spend money on hydraulics, the tractor already has hydraulics and a lift cylinder for the blade built into it and the bucket will work as a clamshell once I finish putting the lever on it.

I'll be looking forward to seeing a picture of it in action. Good luck!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I read in another thread where the idea was to add the weights until the front wheels are just off the ground. I believe the weights were added in 50 lb increments. Once the front tires are off the ground take out the last 50 lbs and add smaller ones until the tires are just touching. Then add the pay load and try the steering again. If necessary add more weight to the back to take the added payload weight off the front end. Or something in between to keep the steering with or without a payload.
As for the clam-shell operation there is another thread that shows a winch used to empty the load.
Good luck with finishing your design.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will try that weight trick once its all finished. I seen that bucket design with the winch but I dont want a divider going down the middle of the bucket. I may move rocks and what nt and that thing is going o get in the way. I may buy a small winch and fab something up that goes to both ends of the bucket with a gear on it

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
hey it sounds like a decent project to try, nice looking fab work. However, unless you got arms like Lou Ferrigno you are going to have a hard time steering it. Toro has a point...to a point, but the two of you sound like you been taking etiquette lessons from Castoff. Kinda hard to exchange helpful observations whilst coming across argumentative. Good luck with the project Z28. We will want to see pics and maybe a youtube vid when youre done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Where do you think my limitations on my tractor are? The hydraulics?
Your hydraulics will not lift that bucket full of dirt.
And even if they would you will not have the traction to push into a pile and load the bucket.
Shovel the bucket full of dirt now and try to lift it. If you can get the bucket off the grund then try to move the tractor and steer it.

I'd highly recommend doing this before you spend more time and money on the project.

Not trying to be hard on you, I'm trying to save you further wasted effort.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts