My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MTF Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is my first attempt at a back blade. All I did is take an old tractors front blade and reverse how the push tube attaches. Welded on a trailer coupler ( upside down ). Drilled a hole through the coupler and pinned it so that I would have up and down, but it would not rotate on the ball. It will also be able to detach and then I can use the winch system for something else or just as a winch. Where the cable runs across the top two bolts there is now a pulley and where the hook attaches to the blade there is an eyebolt. Pretty much all I have to do now is paint it. One thing I do need to do is figure out someway of getting a little down pressure. Put a weight on it ?? Car shock absorber ? I also need to figure out a way to make a quick disconnect for the winch wires. Then I can transfer it to the tractor or 4 wheeler easily ( yes, I do have a 2" receiver on the tractor !! ).

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Looks good. Will the battery keep up with the winch. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
278 Posts
For a QD for he wires, check out a towing parts website. I have seen QD's for jumper cable setups. Would definitely handle the current for the winch.

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
MTF Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny you post that link. I was looking at the kids' electric police car the other day and it has the same connectors on it. For a moment I seriously contemplated re-purposing them. Nice to know that they come in higher amperage's. Will definitely look into that. As far as the battery keeping up with the winch, no idea. I know it won't be a problem on the ATV !

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I used a trailer plug. 4 connections, I paralleled the connections (2+, 2-) and get all the power I need.

It replaced one taillight that was broken.

D7K_0853.jpg

·
22,326 Posts
One thing I do need to do is figure out someway of getting a little down pressure. Put a weight on it ?? Car shock absorber ?
Looks good!

Add weight either to the blade or the tongue. On the tongue, some of the weight will go to the tractor for better traction. As mentioned, 1/4" plate on the blade or, in my case, a pair of 1" plates at 65lb each on the tongue.

·
Registered
752 Posts
What kind of atv is that? It kinda looks like a Polaris.

I'd like to have something like that for my Honda, but it ant got enough power to pull it.

I put the same kind of quick connects on my winch. I made a 1" receiver on the front of my atv. It works out well. You will find a ton of uses for your winch. Just remember that although your winch is rated for x number of pounds your atv won't handle a tug o war. I've tied mine to the trailer and winced several vehicles on with it. And it works great.

Can't wait to hear how well it works out.

·
MTF Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ATV is an '03 Arctic Cat 500. Going to root around the house today and see what I can find that's got some mass to it. If the weather improves I can give it a try again.

·
More Liberty, Less Tyrany
641 Posts
ATV is an '03 Arctic Cat 500. Going to root around the house today and see what I can find that's got some mass to it. If the weather improves I can give it a try again.
5 qt oil jugs filled with concrete? I made a couple and dumped in some wheel weights while making the concrete. They weigh about 40lbs each. Poor mans suitcase weight.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
I made 2 a while back... used an old air tank- the first one the angle rob bent, and the second is still going strong. Only issue was they were kinda narrow at 36" wide
0707102110.jpg

0708101810b.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
looks good :thThumbsU

i've got a big blade a friend and i welded together, i think i might narrow it down a bit and make a box blade for the back of my 112 w/ the thrower on the front.

i have a winch set up to lift the snow thrower and i haven't had any problems with the battery not keeping up. you don't really lift/lower it very long so it just short bursts of power usage.

:trink39:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well here is my first attempt at a back blade. All I did is take an old tractors front blade and reverse how the push tube attaches. Welded on a trailer coupler ( upside down ). Drilled a hole through the coupler and pinned it so that I would have up and down, but it would not rotate on the ball. It will also be able to detach and then I can use the winch system for something else or just as a winch. Where the cable runs across the top two bolts there is now a pulley and where the hook attaches to the blade there is an eyebolt. Pretty much all I have to do now is paint it. One thing I do need to do is figure out someway of getting a little down pressure. Put a weight on it ?? Car shock absorber ? I also need to figure out a way to make a quick disconnect for the winch wires. Then I can transfer it to the tractor or 4 wheeler easily ( yes, I do have a 2" receiver on the tractor !! ).

I'm probably missing something, but what will keep the blade from turning side-to-side on the ball hitch?

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts

I'm probably missing something, but what will keep the blade from turning side-to-side on the ball hitch?
i had to look twice too, but looks like a 1/4" pin. i don't know how well that'll work. the plow has a lot of leverage at that point and i would think that pin would bend or snap.

:dunno:

·
MTF Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry it took a while to catch up. The pin is a 1/2" hitch pin. A spare one that would have been used for a cars draw bar. To be honest, I think I'll tweak the coupler itself before that pin bends. I scored some lead for weight, but I don't think it will be enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts