My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This makes 5 homelites that I own now: 1 xl2, 1 xl, an xl98 concrete saw(still need to dig that out of the box it was shipped in), and these two.

Known issues:

XL700:

missing carburetor and air filter cover(bought the latter from ebay, just waiting for it to get here). Recoil spins but doesn't grab to spin the engine over. No spark according to the seller. Otherwise everything seems to be there. Came with a pioneer bar and chain(don't remember the bar length offhand, haven't opened its box yet).

SXL925:

Same recoil issue, doesn't have a coil (bought one for an XL 924, not sure if it's compatible), no bar or chain. This one does have a carburetor and air filter cover.

Both engines do spin free. As I'm not in any particular rush to get these running right away(rather do it right then screw up and ruin these) is there anything I need to know in particular about these, particularly with parts and repairing? I do know these are manual bar oilers, and if I'm reading right the 700 uses 16:1 fuel mix.

Reactions: MoJoMowerman

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well... slightly disappointed.

Remember when I said both engines spin? The 700 became REAL hard to turn over. Not sure what happened between yesterday and today, but it barely spun over by hand. Pulled the exhaust, and...scoring on the piston. Deep gouge. Something must have froze up or gotten stuck. Head looks ok, no scoring marks that I can see, so I might be able to get away with just replacing the piston on this one. Oh well... I'll straighten it out. I'd like to note that I did spray fogging oil in the cylinders for both saws just as a precaution.

The 925 DOES spin free. No scoring at all. BUT- the flywheel key is missing, pulled the flywheel and I don't see anything as far as points or anything. In short, I have a good base to work with on this saw, I just need to figure out what all is missing.

I still can't get the recoils to catch the flywheel for whatever reason either..still need to look into that.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And the battle continues..

I might try to get the 700 running first. I finally have a carburetor for it, a ton of hardware, spare points/coils and a spare flywheel (all from ebay). New piston on its way too. If I can at least get this one running I'll be happy and be a little farther ahead.

As for the 925....I've looked at every parts diagram I can find, but for the life of me i can't figure out what ignition setup it uses. For now it's going to sit on the back burner until I can figure that out. I really hate to take the xl98 apart just for parts as it's complete(and also needs the recoil fixed-go figure), if anything I'd like to fix the pull rope and get that running by itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts