My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw from the 70's. Fuel leaking from the bottom of the tank through one of the seams between body parts. On the clutch side of the saw, there's a panel below the clutch with some screws holding it on. Is that the fuel tank? Is there anything you can put in the seam where the panel fits on to prevent the fuel from leaking out? The leak comes from the bottom of the saw when it is running, and the saw is in a horizontal position. I was thinking some Permatex or Marine Tex to stop the leak. Thanks. Oh, one other thing, it leaks about 10 drops per second, and it is most definitely fuel, not bar oil.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,493 Posts
So it only leaks when the saw is running?

If so the fuel return line could be broken and the excess fuel from the pump/carb is leaking out? Just a thought..

**I did see in a page where the manufacturer said: DO NOT TAKE TANK HALVES APART! (May be what you are seeing?):dunno:

Here's a link to the website(you will need #'s from your saw):

http://hcpi.arinet.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF

:goodl: :trink40:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it only leaks when the saw is running?

If so the fuel return line could be broken and the excess fuel from the pump/carb is leaking out? Just a thought..

**I did see in a page where the manufacturer said: DO NOT TAKE TANK HALVES APART! (May be what you are seeing?):dunno:

Here's a link to the website(you will need #'s from your saw):

http://hcpi.arinet.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF

:goodl: :trink40:
Tractor Tinkerer:
Sorry I didn't mention this b4, but it leaks all the time. If you fill the tank and put the saw down, the tank will be dry in a few hours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the castings on the xl-12 were machined wrong,where made in china,shiped to u.s.a and assembled,no qt control,homelite were going down by mid 1970,saw has to be torn down and both sides of block machined down,and there were no gasket just a good gas resist sealer,I was home lite dealer for 30 years,the older homelites were bear cats c51 ,c52,xl-12 early blues and early reds,from mid 1970,homelite sold out,and they were junk ,just my opioin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts