My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I found this attached to a 1970 T-10. I'd like to buy the whole tractor, but I'm about one tractor away from a divorce. My wife does want the garden tilled, however.

The hitch and lift group on the T-10 look to be identical to those on my 7116. The Simplicity-Homelite X-reference shows this 989 tiller as having a different lift rod and PTO clutch than the Simplicity 694 unit.

The tiller seems to be intact and functional, the bearing in the idler pulley will likely need to be replaced.

Will I be able to mount this tiller to my 7116, or is this a project to be avoided? Thanks for any input.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
You should be fine....those tillers are.compatible with 20 years worth of Simplicity built machines. I think the only real differences in the hitch groups is due to the later addition of the depth limit chain, for use primarily with manial lifts. Ive used my 990503/545 tiller on everyhing from a 725 to an Allis 716. The only variable is belt length.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that's what the chain is for...

What are the most important things to look for on this tiller? I understand that the pulley set is pricey and tough to find if any are missing- This unit has the big driven wheel, and the smaller idler is being brought today.

Very glad for this info, thanks for responding. There's a snowblower as well, I'll have to inspect the PTO situation.

I actually have the single stage 36" blower, but it's the Honda version. I think it'll fit with some mods, but I'll need to become educated about the hitch variations.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Yes, the chain is used to limit depth, for shallow tilling. I have never actually used one, and use my tiller with hydrolift. I can float it, and let it set it's own depth, or pop it up in a higher hold position. For such work on a manual lift, either a very stong arm or a pin through teh lift lever quadrant would be needed to keep the tiller higher in the soil.

In the foreground of this pic, there is two of teh PTO pulley sets you will need for that tiller. If the smaller, upper idler is missing, no big deal. $7 at a farm supply will have you in business. If the larger pulley is gone, it is a difficult fabrication or $70-80 through SImplicity (still available)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is just the kind of info that I need, thanks again. I'm heading out to look at the tiller again with a more educated eye.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, tiller update. The PTO pulley set and bracket is present, although the bearing in the larger pulley will need to be replaced. The lower mounting ears seem to be a bit wider apart than the corresponding slots on my 7116- I should be able to unbolt the outer plates of the tractor hitch (red arrows) and pack them out to accommodate, yes?

·
10,839 Posts
Just buy the whole set up. Tell the wife that I'll take the T10. I should be able to come get it by November at the latest. Not sure which year, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts