My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have an understanding. I get on the tractor and mow. If she wants ornamental shrubs, bushes, flower beds, etc., I will cut a wide berth but the trim work is hers.

I bought her a Homelite trimmer about 5 years ago that was a workhorse, and it wasn't a high dollar unit... about $135 plus the add on shoulder strap I put on for her.

Unfortunately, our tool room was looted by a crack head and we never recovered the trimmer.

She went to the store a couple years ago and bought a $175 John Deere trimmer (made of course by Homelite) to replace it. Aside from the color, it appeared to be very nearly the same trimmer that we bought before.

Looks can be deceiveing. That JD trimmer has spent more time at our local service center than it has spent at home. The head has been replaced twice, the pull cord assembly has been replaced twice because it wouldn't retract. The last time it went in for repair, it went out of warranty while at the shop. That repair was covered, but they asked us not to bring it in for future repairs because it's "not worth fixing." :fing20:

I tend to agree, but why? Has anyone else had any experience with these JD-badged Homelites or did we just get a lemon?

G

·
For string trimming, I have had VERY good luck and experience with the Harbor Freight "el cheapo" string trimmers. One I bought almost 10 years ago it is still running strong, even used it when I was cutting lawns for a business. It was a refurbished Homelite. The most recent is a Ryobi. It does good for small stuff but the Homelite does good for heavy brush as well. I think Stihl makes the best stuff and I use their stuff for most applications, but for around the yard string trimming I just use an "el cheapo". I paid $39 for the Homelite and $49 for the Ryobi.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55008

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I bought a Ryobi about a month ago and I've been extremely pleased with it so far. Hopefully it will get me a few years down the road.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I picked up a cheap Ryobi, with the expectation of it not lasting very long, but my intent was to use it for lighter duty cutting, and it would be a lot lighter than my Jonsered 60 and my JNOnsered 40 cc cutters. I used it probably 5 or 6 yeras pretty hard, and never spent a penny on it. It was less than $90 bucks when I bought it, so when it finally did die it sure did not owe me a thing. I had been intending on pickin gup another cheap trimmer, but have never gotten around to it. My two JOnsered's are still running like a champ though.....and neither of them have ever cost a penny to keep running and they are both over 20 yeras old........

I had ntended to do the same thing with a blower. I had been buying the Weedeater brands of blowers, and if they tore up so be it, but after a few I decided to buy a decent blower and went with the Stihl BP340.......its a champ, however there are still times I wold like a small lightweight hand held blower (like for blowing in and around the patio etc) so I am currently on the hunt for a small Cheap, blower, mayabe even electric for where it would be used.......

I have mixed feelimngs about JD badged products that they peddle. I have never been overly excited about anything other than tractors and implements that were JD. To me any of their badged items were always over priced, and not as good of quality as I could buy another like item for. This included chainsaws, push mowers, pumps, trimers etc etc....I know paint costs money but double the price for that green and yellow paint on some items does not add to longevity, when the grey or orange and even yellow painted items are less cost and work as good.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We have a couple of stihls one string and one with the plastic thingys, both seem bullet proof. There are also 3 homelites 1 new that was my dad's and he couldnt start it once so gave it to me, I rerplaced the gas line and cleaned the carb, put the plastic thingies in place of the string and the thing runs like a champ. Ther other homelite has a saw blade and starts easily even with no primer bulb. The other one sat for a number of years in pieces. I cleaned and reassembled it and now runs great. I have heard Homelites are junk, but for the price, I think they are fine. But nothing beats the Stihl.

·
Registered
254 Posts
hey l bought a john deere trimmer about 2 years back it's a S1600 l think it's the type that you can add a tiller or blower or edger got it at home depot runs good l'm happy with it
James

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my JD trimmer from the dealer after looking at the ones at the big orange box. Theirs is green while mine is yellow. I think that it is made by Mitsubishi but don't quote me on that. Model XT105. I paid $250 for it three years ago. Still starts easy and runs fine. No problems other than a split fuel line. Put a saw/brush blade on it for cutting thick stuff. For what I do, it does the job. Very happy with it. Cheers, Bill :trink39:

·
Administrator
11,906 Posts
Welcome to the forum Beerme! :Welcome:

I'm still using my Homelite timmer I bought in the late 80's at Hart's department store. It was a cheap one on sale. I would have never guessed it would last this long. I use it once or twice a week for 20 minutes to half hour. Only thing I have done to it is clean the muffler, change the plug, and lube the shaft every year or two.

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
I have got a Ryan (IDC) that I bought in 1987. I think I paid 70 bucks for it. It is probably the most neglected power tool I own. All I have ever done is put gas in it, and keep string on it.

I thought I was going to have to replace it this year, the head quit spinning. After pricing new ones, and sticker shock, I dug into it and found it was nothing more than a missing set screw and I am back in business!

The only thing I don't like about it, is it is a single line affair... It puts my hand to sleep. I see these "will fit" universal dual line heads for sale. I wonder if it would really fit this thing? Might be a nice upgrade since it does not want to quit!

·
Super Moderator
32,311 Posts
People always knock the Homelite brand, but I also have a trimmer [probably the same model Steve had] and it has been good. It replaced two old Sears ones that were always a pain to keep running. Maybe I was lucky and got a good one, but I like it.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
I also bought a Deere/Homelite the 1600 series brush cutter. It has the click link system where you can change attachments. The trimmer is heavy and loud and you get a lot of vibration while using it. I only use it for light brush work any real heavy work out comes the DR. field and brush mower.I`ve never had any problems with the Deere/Homelite. I have a Husqvarna CL322 that only weight in at 10 pounds easy to start, starter only has 4 allen head cap screws to remove starter to replace cord it a straight shaft and the best anti-vibration system. The system is really good I mow for a living and my hands use to hurt after a day of mowing and trimming even after using anti vibration gloves until I got the Husqvarna CL322 and then I didn`t need the gloves :fing32: . I think the system is on the 323 trimmer which replaced the 322. I`ve had this trimmer for 5 years and have only had to clean the screen on the muffler and clean air filter, wash out reoil and put in new plug. Starts on second pull when cold then first after that Do I like it, my hands say yes...Its cost close to $300.00 but you get what you pay for. I bought three Ryobi`s all lasted a year of heavy use, add the price up of the three and they cost more then the CL322. One was the 4 cycle :banghead3 never ran very long. The Ryobi 31 CC 2 cycle are ok for home use, all were straight shaft.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts