My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend called me up the other day and told me he was at an auction place and found a pallet of Homelite chainsaws that were all "steel". He asked if they were worth trying to get. Not being able to see through the phone, I told him if they looked good and weren't too high they might be. He called me later that day and told me he got them and a pallet of parts to go with them. And he wanted me to come by and pick them up to see if I could get them running. I came home with a truck load of saws and boxes of parts tonight. I've done a little looking around on the net for info. But haven't found anything that may tell me around what year any of the saws were made. They are all Super XL Automatics. Model numbers on a couple are 10045-C. The others are 10499A. He got 2 of them to fire up and run before I got over to get them. The others were left for me to go over. I'll see if I can get some pics in the morning.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!! According to the link, it looks like there are 2 1981 models and 3 from 1986. Here's a picture of them:

The two on the left are supposed to be running. I tried the first and it fired right up. The other had no gas. In the boxes behind the saws are enough new parts to keep these saws running for longer than I'll be able to fix them.

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
Well... ill tell you they are GREAT saws!!!
And I'll agree 100% !! I have a few of em, or 7 to be exact. :fing32:
Had a blue C-55 yrs ago I still regret getting rid of.
Mike
:ditto::ditto:I have had owned one for 8 years and have cut and used the heck out of it and to this day it still starts with 3 pulls.:fing32:

BTW, nice looking chain saws! Take care of them and they should last you a long time.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tinkered around with them today. One of the ones that were running has carb. issues along with most of the rest. One has no spark. And then there is the one that fired right up. I took it and my Dolmar out into the woods this after noon. I was able to finish the trail I have been working on. I had left several smaller trees, waiting for a day I would cut them with a chainsaw. They were all in the 4-6" diameter. I like the saw. It may be the sharpness of the chains, but it seemed to move through the wood a little better. I'll get to work on the others soon.

·
Registered
196 Posts
my Dad had a Super XL Auto 10045 that he got second hand from my bro in law and sister...he used it a great deal...i started using it about eight years ago, and have cut a lot of firewood - many large diameter and knotty trees...other than a chain tightener and a clutch it has been trouble free...more power than the husky 455 i bot (thought the homelite would back up the husky - turns out it's the other way around)..also have a stihl still in the box - haven't needed it yet...still burning lots of wood - have an outdoor furnace to heat the house and it's usually pretty cold up here from november to march...the homelite shows no signs of quitting...

if you ever decide to part with any of these saws running or not let me know...

·
Registered
853 Posts
My friend called me up the other day and told me he was at an auction place and found a pallet of Homelite chainsaws that were all "steel". thers were left for me to go over. I'll see if I can get some pics in the morning.
Hopefully he means aluminum or magnesium.

Homelite had a good reputation in its day before it decided to cater to the box store and homeowner type customers.

I worked for a Homelite dealer in the 60s when they (and Mac) were #1 with pros. With the XL series - the saws starting going downhill when they changed from blue to red. I was working as a cutter and climber for Asplundh early 70s and all we had were Homelites. They all had minds of their own. Never knew if you'd get one started if shut down hot. Stalling all the time while hanging from a tree, etc. Yeah - they were the "best" until better stuff came along. I got my first Stihl in 1971 and it was a used 1960s 040. It was the same size as my Homelite XL12 but ran circles around it. 10 years later just about all the professionals were using foreign saws.

I still love the old Wizs, Super Wizs,4-20s, 5-30s, Buzs, Zips, the old XL101s and Xl12s, XL925, (the blue ones), etc. but that being said -they don't come close to the saws from other makers that came out later. The so-called "pro" red Homelite 330 was probably the worse piece of junk they ever made. Had a roller bearing that rode directly on the crankshaft and tended to wear a groove right into the crank. By the way, it's only the newer "red" saws I don't care for. The 50s Homelites were also red and many were great saws FOR the time.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm still having fun with these. But I'll let you know

You cant beat House of Homelite for Homie info and parts.
I'll be sure to check it out when I start work on the non running ones. Thanks!

Hopefully he means aluminum or magnesium.
My friend was a little excited when he saw them. For my use, I'm sure they will be good saws. Thanks for the information!:trink39:

·
Proud Member of the 1K Club
1,379 Posts

·
Proud Member of the 1K Club
1,379 Posts
my Dad had a Super XL Auto 10045 that he got second hand from my bro in law and sister...he used it a great deal...i started using it about eight years ago, and have cut a lot of firewood - many large diameter and knotty trees...other than a chain tightener and a clutch it has been trouble free...more power than the husky 455 i bot (thought the homelite would back up the husky - turns out it's the other way around)..also have a stihl still in the box - haven't needed it yet...still burning lots of wood - have an outdoor furnace to heat the house and it's usually pretty cold up here from november to march...the homelite shows no signs of quitting...

i have a couple homelite xl 12 blues im interested in parting out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.