My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
22,077 Posts
It's as good a place as any for where to post the story on that nifty little skid steer! :thThumbsU

Should be a real good read from the looks of it!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
With as many pictures as you have of the build and more pictures of it doing what you built it for.

DonF

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the start the 6 inch wide frame rails with 1/4 plate floor with channels for drive chain I used dodge caravan front drive hubs took the axle apart and welded on 24 tooth plate 60 pitch sprocket onto the axle stub shaft You can see frame and loader arms in position taking shape with hydraulic motor blocked up

Attachments

·
5K and there's still more
6,745 Posts
Awsome!

What a handy little item to have around the yard. :fing32:

and I like the look of the shop, the wood & window, sort of homey.

Donewrken

:fing32:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here the main frame is taking shape motor plates are on and plates to hold them welded in also screw tensioner to push up on motor plate to adjust drive chain after a test run i put in a idler sprocket in front and below drive sprocket to get enough chain tension Main tools are welders plasma cutter drill press old 9 inch swing southbend lathe grinders cutoff saw etc Yes i have lots of treasures Some people call it junk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I see you have a couple of nice Char-Lynn 2000 series. What are they 4 cu-in? Did you use a variable volume pump(s)?

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
now this is a cool project..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some more photos engine is 15 hp from princess auto motors are 18.7 cu. in pump i finally used is 12 gallons gear pump. tank i built is about 7 gallons spool valve is 5 section also i put in a brand flow control bypassing back to tank for very fine control

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
pump i finally used is 12 gallons gear pump.
That's a Vickers vane pump in the pictures. So you changed it. Do you know displacement or what rpm you get 12 gpm?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gear pump i am using .732 cu inch so about 12 gallons at full rpm but i normally run 2800 to 3000 rpm so 9 or 10 gal per min Here is mounts for cyl still just bolts here later i built pins In the picture you can see my ramrod its about a 1984 its in need of new hyd motors but still works the wife claimed it I built it about 8 inches longer and 8 inches wider than ramrod you can see wings on the back i really like can rest against or stop from getting thrown off I made wheel spacers 4 inches deep 5 hole 4.5 inch to 4 bolt golf cart or trailer wheels tires are 20 10 8 rear 18 10 8 front for snow and ice i put on narrower tires and chains i still have finishing touches and paint when weather gets warmer The bucket is 42 inch plus a 36 inch bucket and pallet forks and a blade that needs finishing

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope to have a few more pictures in the near future i am working on a hood and cover and finish off other parts and paint and decals

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,660 Posts
What an awesome build!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been thinking of the exact same type of build since I saw Bobcat makes a commercial version. Awesome! I will be taking notes and asking questions.

First question: Cost?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the first stage of the hood or cover have to finish over hydraulic tank and battery still many small thing to do before paint
As costs go i bought many of the components off kijiji or craigs list or princess auto on sale regular prices here in canada at princess auto would be close to 3000.00 plus used hubs steel etc

Attachments

1 - 20 of 65 Posts