My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone built their own dirt scoop? I was thinking you couls get an old metal 55gal barrel and put some tubing along the sides (for suport), back for the 3 point and a gate latch at the top to dump. I bet you could make it pretty easy but has anyone built one before? If so could you show some pic so I can see how you did it?

Thanks,2Late

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
The cost of an factory made vs what it would take to make one strong enough to handle the stress... store bought is going to be cheaper unless you have heavy enough metal and nothing else to do. A 55 gal. barrel wouldn't last even for a first attempt to load, way to thin.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. I saw one (55 gal drum)for sell for $5 and the guy said it was very sturdy. Oh well I actually found an actual dirt scoop I'm going to pick up tomorrow for $50.00 Can't beat that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the add don't think I can go wrong with this (knock on wood)

3 point hook up Dearborn Scoop. $50.00

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Not as handy as the newer ones that you can hook up in either direction but for the money, go for it. It will do a lot of work.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
It MIGHT hook up both ways but I cannot see it in the pics... Go lay eyeballs on it and then you will know.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
looks like a model 19-6. I think they only went one way. Not that you couldn't weld something on it to make it go the other. A bit of a hassle. The last two reversables I sold for a hundred buck a piece. They can be found from $100/$150. I sold an ARPS scoopmaster one way scoop for $35 but it wasn't in that good of shape. Still for a dearborn $50 ain't bad.

Kirk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts