My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Homebrew 4X4 articulated GT

I posted some pics in reply in another thread and was asked some questions so I'll just start my own thread about this build.

I needed a small tractor to use in the garden and to pull my trail mower. I have a couple other garden tractors that have plenty of power but traction was the issue!
I wanted to keep my expense down so I tried to use as much of the donor parts as possible. I had lots of square tubing that I had gotten for free from an old conveyor system. Other than belts and battery, I had less than $100 invested when it was done.
It started as a couple of Rally riding mowers that had seen better days. I took the transaxles and fabbed a frame that articulates in the middle and the front axle can pivot over uneven ground.

The transaxles are 5 speed but one is Peerless and the other is Spicer. But the ratios are almost the same.
The shaft that the tractor articulates on also transmits the power to each axle. The engine is belted to the shaft using the original tensioner as a clutch then belts run to each axle. The black piece in the pic above is the original part of one on the frames to mount the engine.

The steering is sort of rack and pinion using a large sproket that I had hanging in the shop with double chain attached to it. The sprocket is welded to the front half. The rear half of the steering is a small sprocket engaged into the top half of the double chain. The two upper chains are for reduction.

Then I took the rear half of one of the donors and mounted it to the rear sub-frame. The black again is part of the original frame. While I had access, I went ahead and added a bank of relays to actuate the winch for my lift.

I made some linkage for each transaxle and connected them in the middle with a heavy push-pull cable from e-bay.
The rest of it was pretty much just cosmetic. Re-used the rear fenders and seat from one donor and cut the hood to fit from the other donor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to follow up on my way to keep my costs down on this project, here is a list of some of the parts that were originally used on something else.
1. Square tubing was a conveyor system headed for the scrapper.
2. Push-pull cable connecting the transaxles was originally for a small aircraft.
3. Relays for lift were extras from several auto alarm systems.
4. Switch for up-down on the lift was a power window switch.
5. Round tubing on right fender for up-down switch was part of a hay baler.
6. Gear shifter was a corn planter lever.
7. Winch was from another garden tractor lift. (Didn't need two!)
8. Small pull cable for clutch was originally bicycle brake cable.
9. Bearing for front axle to pivot on was spindle from a Simplicity mower.

Some people see junk, I see something that can be re-used!:trink40:

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
that looks good , do you have any problems with belt slipping .need more pictures .

shd

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not had any problem with belt slipping in use. However, I added another belt from the engine to the main shaft routed around a couple pulleys to reverse direction on the main shaft. When reversing, there is some slippage but that because the two belts on the transaxles are pulling in the tensioner side.

I don't really know how to quantify how much it will pull. I want to take it to a GT pull if they have one local just to see how it compares. I have had it in the garden discing plowed ground which was a real pain with my other tractor because it was always either getting stuck in a furrow or wouldn't turn at the ends. This one has no problems in plowed or loose ground. I'm sure it would be even better with some ag tires on it as well. Maybe duals!

I have used it a lot clearing fence rows. Small bushed and saplings. I just cut and throw them away from the fence them come in with the blade and start pushing. I was amazed at the size of the piles it was pushing!

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Good job.:thThumbsU

1 - 12 of 12 Posts