My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that are plowing with your machines, would you mind showing me some of the home made weights you are using and how you are mounting them?? Also how much weight do you use??
Thanks much!

· Registered
220 Posts
This is my home fab weight basket, holds about 200ibs. I use this and chains for mine X540, works great.

]http://i47.tinypic.com/2qcovgz.jpg[/IMG]

· Registered
220 Posts
Hmm that didnt work....:banghead3

· Registered
220 Posts
:madpc:

· Registered
220 Posts

:thThumbsU

· Lindeman crawler fan
3,371 Posts
I made this carriage bracket up a long time ago and I've used it on 4 different tractors.
It holds 25 steel bars that are 1x2-1/2 for a total weight of around 240 pounds.
The bracket itself bolts to the back of what I want it on and I load the bars into it.

When I'm ready to sell that tractor, I unload the bars, unbolt the bracket and mount it on the new tractor.
I haven't used it for about 4 years now and it just sits in the corner of the garage.

· Registered
1,095 Posts
I have a weight box that is bolted to a hitch insert . It get filled with 200#s of cast iron bar bell weights.

Attachments

· Diesel Power
1,611 Posts
I filled two 5 gallon buckets with concrete and inserted angle iron to connect them to the top link. I put a couple of bolts in the bottom to set in the holes in the drawbar on the three point hitch. Total weight was around 225 lbs.

· Deere 330 Killer
17,793 Posts
something that i do that isnt necessarily homemade is find 8" concrete wheel weights for lawn tractors, and mount them on the front wheels on my sears. its nice to have an extra 50# for steering

· 3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
I filled two 5 gallon buckets with concrete and inserted angle iron to connect them to the top link. I pot a couple of bolts in the bottom to set in the holes in the drawbar on the three point hitch. Total weight was around 225 lbs.

Nice idea and a fine pic too!:fing32:

· Diesel Power
1,611 Posts
Nice idea and a fine pic too!:fing32:
That is the only picture I have of that tractor with the weights. Too bad the I was stuck at the time. 20" of snow was a little much for 2wd and no chains.

· Registered
4,738 Posts
For those of you that are plowing with your machines, would you mind showing me some of the home made weights you are using and how you are mounting them?? Also how much weight do you use??

I use loaded wheels on my 2305 during off-season (winter) snow plowing duty.... no extra weights other than that.

Back when I had my L120, I used only chains and loaded wheels for snow plowing... no extra weight.

Never had a problem... but my driveway is flat.
Yes it would spin the back wheels a bit here and there... but all that it would mean, is that I had to approach the snow from a different angle, or do something else creative. I never had to get the tractor unstuck, but then again, I would not get myself into trouble either, by driving the thing into a soggy ditch, and expect it to pull me out up a 45 degree muddy bank....

Note that I would even drive onto my frozen pond, and plow the snow off of it as well... no weights other than filled tires... plus chains.... no problem.... just had to keep the work-load on the tractor only when going straight, to have both wheels turning through the diff...

cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.