My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had read that a solution of liquid soap in water could be used for wasps. If this is correct it would be better for all than some other sprays, but ONLY if it works. Anyone else ever try it?

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
I think soapy water is only good for the traps. It makes them sticky and makes it harder to get out. I think if you spray them with it you will only make them mad. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I use a bit of Sunlight dish soap and water in a garden sprayer. It works very well but for obvious reasons, you have to get close enough to the buggers to douse them with it.

When we had an infestation of Forest Tent Caterpillars of biblical proportions, we put Sunlight soap into an applicator that went on the end of the garden hose and we hosed the buildings down with it. It killed them by the millions. So many that I was raking them out of the flower beds and carting them off by the wheelbarrow loads. None of the plants or pets were affected and the house was never so clean before or since.

·
Premium Member
9,608 Posts
Apparently the soap forms a film over their exoskelton and suffocates them (they breathe through pores in their abdomen). I've not been brave enough to try it. When I find a yellow jacket nest I unload a whole can of wasp spray down the hole to make sure I get every last one of them.

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
Well what do you know!

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I have never tried soap and water but I know Starting Fluid, and gas works real well!
I have to agree. I only feel safe approaching stingy things behind a 10' plume of roaring flame. Save the soap and water to wash their little charred bodies away with the pressure washer.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
When you spray the soap and water be sure and put some tiny wash cloths out so they can get real clean.

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know that they had BO problems. Bug Odor

When you spray the soap and water be sure and put some tiny wash cloths out so they can get real clean.

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Spray starch works too. It makes them stiff, they fall to the ground and you can crunch them with your foot. Look out for "escapees" though.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have heard the soap and water mix works, but have never tried it.

I keep a can of carb cleaner handy; it works great. Have also used pump oil can with gas.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
im dealing with those carpenter bees right now , they think they own my greenhouse.:hide:
I am kicking butt with the carpenter Bees !!! I found the best weapon is my "Chris Evert" yard sale bought tennis racket !!

I have fun taking them out ... I bet I have gotten well over 100 this season so far ... If you wait till they get close to each other .. u can even get 2 at a time, I have noticed a HUGE decline in those pesky pests.

I bet they would FEAR a Billy Gene King model !!! :D :D

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Try Windex or any window cleaner. Kills em almost instantly. I learned that at work when they where flying around the office.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner on the bald faced wasps and yellow jackets we get here,nothing else kills them quicker,you can nail one coming at you in mid air and it'll drop before it gets to you--I've been stung too many times after using "wasp killer" spray,that fails to kill them fast,they live up to 5 minutes after being sprayed often..only bummer is carb and brake claner is pricey(not much worse than "wasp spray" though)--and it can RUIN many things it gets on,like painted surfaces,plastic eyeglass lenses (DOAH!) and other things made of fiberglass or plastic too,like plexiglass windows!.

If ammonia and water works,I have gallons of Ammonia lurking about,also a w gallons of vinegar!..that'll make em sick at least!..I like the "Napalm" method with a lighter and a spray can,but its too easy to start wildfires ot burn the shed down killing them that way--more FUN though!..once their wings melt,its easy to squash them with your boots..I hate finding a nest when I'm on a ladder,especially when both hands are busy holding onto the ladder or a paint brush,etc..I also hated finding a nest in a junk car I was stripping at the junkyard,after squeezing into it,when cars were parked to close against the one I was taking parts from,it sucks when you cant make a hastyretreat,you always get stung!..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wait until dark set up a big flash light there is usually a couple on patrol outside the nest ,Then I blast the nest with wasp spray I use the whole can. Then after the next couple days pass I knock down the nest.
Last year I was putting a lattice top on my fense they got me pretty good
I did not see the little buggers but they were watching . Carb cleaner or brake clcan works also

1 - 20 of 30 Posts