My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if you took an old walk behind mower, engine off, using the Deck, and install a Bearing/Shaft assembly from a Real Mower deck.
Something like this: gravelly model L.jpg

Now, put a Sling blade on that Arbor. A real bush hog blade or make your own sling blade set right down at Worm height.

Now mount that mower deck to the front of a yard Tractor, Run a belt from the Shiv that used to drive a real mower deck, out to the new Mini Bush Hog.

Make one of the Struts going to the Mini Bush hog adjustable for Belt tension.

Good for clearing wild brush etc.
I'll bet a hundred guys have had this idea and maybe even have built something like it.
C'mon back with what you know.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I've actually considered doing something along that line for cutting tall grass in barn lots. I was thinking of using a MM three blade deck and drive shaft to drive it. A set of caster wheels both front and rear to prevent the deck from digging in and using something along the lines of a front blade mount to push it along should work well. A simple framework and winch or hydraulic system could be fitted to raise and lower it.

My major concern would be how tough would it be to turn.

Sure would eliminate the problem of leaving long uncut grass where the wheels of the tractor tramps things down with a pull behind. Hadn't really considered a brush hog system but suspect it would work well.

Mike

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A big 3 bladed deck would make a nice Finish Bush hog. I don't think you could take down a lot of long wet grass and brush with three blades without 30 Hp or more.

I've been told that if you don't have those Sling blades, no amount of Hp can turn the blades in Tall grass or brush.

Also I see on Ebay those bolts are over $23 apiece.
I was going to use Steel Rivets but then I thought of using Steel bolts, cutting them off and Riveting them down. Cheaper and will work well long enough to see if the Idea will work as well as my dreams envision. :)

Also, I believe if you used Sling Blades, you could use Chains and Sprockets for Drive. That would require even less Hp.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just a thought for whatever it's worth which is probably nothing, but when they first came out with the DR field string trimmer, I thought about doing something like what your talking, only using an old chain saw chain instead of blades or string. A good guard would be required in case it cut loose. Never did it though because we bought a regular 3 pt bush hog.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smiley, I was just talking over that idea with my local small engines guy.
He said the Chain (not a chainsaw) idea was used and the Fed's outlawed it.

I used a nice hard part of a Fence on a string trimmer and it came off in pieces much like the string does.
The String trimmer will stay as it is I think.
I had sling blades for a trimmer made of Delrin a form of plastic. They broke too.

I think this Mini Bush hog Idea should not be used in a "Walk behind" at all. Only on a Tractor mount, so no part of your anatomy will be impacted if the Sling blades start coming off.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I hadn't heard about the chain idea and being outlawed before. I also had those plastic ones on a string trimmer and it didn't take to many stones to finish them. Then I got thinking again about the chainsaw chain and quickly dismissed it as a bad idea, after thinking about one coming loose around unprotected legs or someone nearby.
I just noticed that you're from Cullman. I had friends by the name of Fox in the chicken business there and also have a knife, from one of your neighbors, Walter Brend, the 8th one he made when he first started.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Been thinking about this idea and I'm wondering if a person could use a three blade deck and build swing blade heads for all three positions.

The major problem I see with this idea is the lack of lift a brush hog has when compared to a fixed blade mower deck. This, I would think, would result in a very uneven cut similar to what I now have with the brush beater.

I'm also thinking it would be advisable to do as has been suggested and have a separate engine powering the mower. This may be a good time to buy one of those cheap OHV motors from Harbor Freight.

Mike

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
I tried using music wire... After I found little chunks of the wire stuck in the surrounding trees I stopped using it....

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used a Speedometer Cable. It came apart quickly. I'd bet Braided wire would too. Maybe if you brazed the ends together?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts