My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our deer lease used to have cows on it, but they're gone now so all the paths and common areas grew up with nasty vegetation. Here's a homemade mower/brush hog I built from a spare lawn-boy engine and John Deere riding mower parts, I tow it with a John Deere gator. It works better than I could have hoped. One big change from prototype to finished product was that the grass chute is much bigger on the final product but you cannot see that in the photos. It was fun and took about 3 weeks from sketch to final product working lunch breaks and evenings. So far I've been able to mow waist high grass and saplings about 3/4" diameter without any issues.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
Nice! Clever name. Nice paint.

With all that work, I think I would have made one with a bigger engine and wider cut.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can see your point for sure. This one used parts I had on hand or were cheap and readily available, I also need it to be man-handleable so while small it really suits my needs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice job. Like seeing that imagination and creativity are still alive in this country.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
5,441 Posts
Nice....I built something similar, but instead of towing it, I push it up a hill. This hill is not accessible from the top, so must be pushed up. It is also narrow, but needs to be light weight, so something wider might be too heavy to go up the hill.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
3,355 Posts
Nice work but as said earlier I would have bigger and used an old rusty 48" deck with that engine. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've often thought of connecting two old push mowers with a hinged connection and towing behind. They can often be found for a free or a few bucks at yard sales or auctions.

Alternative might be to use an old orphaned mower deck, maybe a 48 to 60 inch deck. Build an engine platform, belt routing, and some kind of wheels on each corner. The front wheels being castering wheels to allow for turns. Again towed behind.

This project is somewhere down the road though. Plenty to do now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts