My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or maybe it's a very low Saw mounted on the front of some Lawn Mower.

I had a thought of mounting on the front of my Murray, a Cutting device that would take out small trees.

I wonder if the cutting device should be a wheel with a Sharpe Carbon steel blade sticking out.
Or a couple of Loose Hammer blades, on a wheel or just fastened to an axle.?
I seem to recall somebody using a 10" or 12" saw blade. I wonder how that worked?
I am thinking of running it off a Bicycle chain. Belts just don't last long enough.

What would you guys say? Has this been done?
What kind of blades are on Bush Hogs?
Should it run Hi Rpm, or slowly?
It's just an Idea now.
I hope you guys can come up with the details for me. :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Sounds like a VERY DANGEROUS idea..............

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i thought of doing this once, but more like a cord saw on the front, i would suggest running it at hi rpms so it cuts smoother, otherwise it would more grab and rip the wood instead of cut, it is a dangerous idea but would be cool to see it built, good luck

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
The Swisher Rough Cut mower I have, which will chop up sagebrush and other such stuff up to about 2" diameter, has swinging blades mounted to a center plate. Body of the machine is built of heavy material due to the way it flings stuff around.

I'd sure shy away from any kind of circular saw blade as the danger of having the blade shatter against a rock would be considerable. Running at high speed the parts could well fly a considerable distance.

I'd also suggest using belts. Chain drive, especially something as light duty as bicycle chain, would probably not survive the impact of the blades hitting something solid. Flying chain parts are not a desirable thing to have around.
Belts have some give and will slip a bit when things get serious.

Whatever you decide to build be safe and have plenty of guards in place. Anything that can chop up brush and heavy weeds can easily chop bone and flesh.

Just my opinion of course.

Mike

·
Registered
210 Posts
What you describe is possible, but I wouldn't advise it. I went through the same thing. Unless the ONLY thing you plan to cut is 1ft tall grass, you'll be better off getting a actual bushhog / DR Trimmer sort of machine.

"I had a thought of mounting on the front of my Murray, a Cutting device that would take out small trees".
Lawn mowers ARE NOT meant for cutting thick stuff. Their blades would cut thicker weeds/brush for a bit. But quickly get dull, and most likely damaged. The worst and most dangerous thing you can have is a unbalanced cutter. The moment that happens, it gets SERIOUSLY dangerous...

Asking to get hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54hX5KGWjvU

At least not in path of debris when it goes BOOM!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjvVsEhh7QI&feature=related

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Look at old gravelys walk behinds and the riders. The gravelys have a 30 inch brush hog that can take down anything it can push over. They also can mount a saw blade on it. If your real lucky, you can find a chainsaw attachment as well. Gravely L walk behind with a brush hog can usually be found on CL for less than $300.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
I got an idea.Build a mount on the front to hold a small chainsaw horizontally a few inches above grade and attach a throttle cable for it.Then,build a framework on the front of the tractor(with safety screening in between uprights) that goes up 6-8ft that pivots with hydraulics(or actuators) so it would be adjustable for the amount of forward"push".Then design a stump grinder mechanism for the back so you could finish the stump off.As far as the size of the tree-well-travel at your own risk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts