My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a home made piece for my B&S 18 hp engine out of soft metal , the piece it replaces is hardened , how can i harden this pieces at home ? all i have is propane . any tips appreciated .

:thanku::thanku::thanku:

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
Charcoal grill and a hair dryer. Make your own forge.

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have hair dryer , no grill or neighbor who has one

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Heating it with a carbonizing flame will infuse carbon onto the metal. Depending on how hard you need it to be, you could then quench it in water or oil.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
have hair dryer , no grill or neighbor who has one
Find an old cast iron skillet at the local flea market. An old truck brake drum. There is a number of things you can use. Think.:trink40:

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heating it with a carbonizing flame will infuse carbon onto the metal. Depending on how hard you need it to be, you could then quench it in water or oil.
don't mean to be dumb (yea right) what is a carbonizing flame , how about a propane torch and CAREFULLY FANNING THE FLAME WITH THE HAIR DRYER , OR MAYBE A AIR HOSE .

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The part in question is a homemade oil dripper that is bolted to the rod and slings oil up on the crank , and before you say anything , by the time the end of the month gets here i will have $ 5.00 left to my name , just trying to get by .

·
Registered
595 Posts
keep in mind that if the steel you used is low carbon steel, it will never harden like you want it too; carbon content is what effects the hardness of steel.

some of you other guys are talking about case hardening, which infuses carbon into the surface of the metal. this, when done properly, allows the SURFACE of the steel to be hardened, but the inside is still just the same as before.

as i understand it, you made a replacement rod cap? or just a splasher to splash oil around? if it's just a splasher, i don't see a need to harden it at all. if it's a rod cap, i'm impressed with your machining abilities!

tmm

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just a oil splasher to save $ 10.00 or $ 12.00 , also polished the crank and rod journals to help in longevity

·
Registered
595 Posts
if it's just a splasher attached to the rod cap, i wouldn't worry about hardness. it isn't under any stress. how do you know that it was hardened in the first place?

tmm

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The engine 42 CID b&s flat head calls for 2 below 2400 rpm , i had one that didn't self destruct ,made the other , the good one was as hard as my wife's heart when i ask for ANYTHING !!

·
Registered
595 Posts
well, you're going to need to start with a good steel to make anything that has a hope of being hardened and tempered well. leaf springs and coil springs are good tough steel, old lawnmower blades are tough as nails.

make the part, and normalize the steel by heating it to critical temp (once it loses magnetism, red-orange hot) and air-cooling. then heat to critical again and quench in oil. you can quench in water to make it harder, but you risk damaging the part due to the shock of cooling so quickly. then polish it so you can see bare steel, and heat slowly and evenly with your torch until a bronze or purple color appears (light straw will start, turning to gold, dark gold, bronze, purple, bark blue, and then light blue). quench again or let air cool. this second process tempers the steel, it draws away some of the hardness, turning the brittle steel into a slightly softer, but tougher material.

keep in mind that this is the nickel-tour of heat-treating steel. the actual practice and science behind it is extremely immense, but this should be sufficient for your purposes.

tmm

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
What you need is drill rod or high carbon steel... If you dont have it then take what you have and also take some D-cell batteries open them up and take out the carbon rod. Smash the rod up into dust... take the metal you have and cover it with the powder in a tray... Heat to a dull red for 10-15 min. When it cools you will have metal that soaked the carbon in a few thousands... This is called case hardened...

·
15,274 Posts
if it's just a splasher attached to the rod cap, i wouldn't worry about hardness. it isn't under any stress. how do you know that it was hardened in the first place?

tmm

Splashes are under extreme stress and need to be hard...
Try slamming into oil at 3200 rpm for hours at a time...

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Kbeitz hpu sir are a wealth of information. Thank you so much for the great info you post here.

·
15,274 Posts
Any old man with gray hair that worked around machine shops and weld shops can give you the answers you all need....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts