My Tractor Forum banner

Home Made Lawn Roller

43529 Views 20 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  cnc-me
Here is my home made lawn roller.
I think this was either a large air cylinder or hydraulic cylinder.
Its about 5/8" thick and weighs 300 pounds for just the outside tube.
Has an access port, and its filled with silica sand (nice and dry) no rust
from water, weighs a lot more too.
Don't have any problems telling what has been rolled, and what hasn't been
rolled with this thing.
If you run it on concrete, it will crush small rocks.

Some old ball bearing pillow blocks were used here.
You can see how the 2" square tube was "beefed" up so I could tap
holes for the bearings.

Finished with Rust-Olem 2 part urethane with epoxy primer underneath.

Here it is behind the '69 Simplicity tractor.

-John :trink39:
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
nice work its nice to see some taking pride in there work
Nice roller, great build!!
I have a question.....is there a reason you can't put core plugs on a roller and have a aerator/roller, or is there a reason one must have a roller only. I notice that the north seems to have what is referred to as frost heave? I guess us down south don't have that or at least I don't notice it.
For a roller the size of the one pictured that would be a LOT of pluggers to fabricate and weld on -- not to mention that it would increase the diameter of the roller quite a bit.

Lawns in the north get lumpy because the the cold, soggy lawns in the spring make it easy to create lumps. Frost heave just screws up your sidewalks ;)
I have a question.....is there a reason you can't put core plugs on a roller and have a aerator/roller, or is there a reason one must have a roller only. I notice that the north seems to have what is referred to as frost heave? I guess us down south don't have that or at least I don't notice it.
Nice roller. Very nice execution.
I also think that the weight of that roller, would do more damage than good with plugs
Thanks, :trink40:
nice work its nice to see some taking pride in there work
Exactly, not to mention those pesky Moles.
For a roller the size of the one pictured that would be a LOT of pluggers to fabricate and weld on -- not to mention that it would increase the diameter of the roller quite a bit.

Lawns in the north get lumpy because the the cold, soggy lawns in the spring make it easy to create lumps. Frost heave just screws up your sidewalks ;)
:thanku:
Nice roller. Very nice execution.
Go big or go home, as they say!Looks great!

M
Great job:fing32:
LOL, :thanku:
Go big or go home, as they say!Looks great!

M
Nice job, is that 1/2" wall?
Its 5/8", and its all honed out on the inside, must have cost
someone a fortune. I'll bet the sand has it polished up good, by now.
It weighs 300# on the junkyards scale, cost $80, at the time to take it home.
Nice job, is that 1/2" wall?
IMO, those aerator/roller set-ups are a bad idea.. When your pulling a roller, and you turn, one side spins while the other side slides. Add spikes/core plugs on that and your gonna really tear up the yard. On a aerator, you really need the rows of plugs/spikes independent of each other so some can go faster/slower than others to make up the travel distance when turning.

Great job on the roller cnc-me!! :fing32:
Great job on the roller cnc-me!!
Oh, BTW, that is a very nice roller.......I failed to say that in my question post.....I guarantee, it'd be best to not get you foot under it based on the smashed gravel I saw on it's surface in the pic.:thThumbsU
Newt92, thanks for that explanation. I see now what you mean....Guess I need to invest in an aerator, soon. Maybe I can put some holes in my pesky moles, too!
IMO, those aerator/roller set-ups are a bad idea.. When your pulling a roller, and you turn, one side spins while the other side slides. Add spikes/core plugs on that and your gonna really tear up the yard. On a aerator, you really need the rows of plugs/spikes independent of each other so some can go faster/slower than others to make up the travel distance when turning.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.