My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Here it goes...

After spending an almost unhealthy amount of time studying, researching and just generally looking at box blades. I decided that I liked the Brinly one better than the Agri-fab one, but really wanted the King Kutter 42” I think it's the xb series … =) I'm not even sure if my gt's are heavy enough to use that last one. I have a Sears gt-16, a Surburban 10, and a Surburban 12. They all have 3pt hitches now.

But every time I started to get serious about buying something I would look into my wallet and take a serious beating by reality.

So I looked around the garage. I have saws that cut steel, torches and welders, and even know how to use them. Then a friend of mine called and told me he had some steel he was trying to get rid of. I'm thinking “sweet!”

To make a long story short, I ended up with about 8ft of 10”x3/16” I beam structural steel, about 8 or 9 ft of 2x2x.25” angle, some light duty 42” snow blade, and a sears suburban 3 point hitch that was complete except for the top link.

I'M BUILDING A BOXBLADE !!!
:thThumbsU

More in just a few... Please stand by...:praying:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This was my first attempt/idea.

I quickly abandoned that... Then I cut about 3” off of the bottom of the snow blade, cut 42” of angle and tacked them together.

I'm thinking "That's much better"
:fing32:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The main reason I wanted a box blade was for the driveway. So i thought gauge wheels would be a cool idea. Also AS you can see I dont have the really handy electric hitch so the wheels should help save my arm too.

Now were get'n somewhere.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Getting the wife involved is always a big help:) It easier for her to see why you need all those tools or how much easier it would be if you had a few more:)
Nice job on the Box blade :trink40:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided to buy five 1/2"x2"x12" steel to use as scarifiers. I welded these huge lock washers to some 5/8 rod to make the pins. (I've been trying to find a use for those lock washers for years) :fing32:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a few more.

Plenty of clearance when raised. and you can see the cutting edge and the rippers sticking down below the side plate.:fing32:

The gauge wheels eliminate "wash boarding" I stirred my driveway with it and it's never been this smooth.

And what's better I don't have to hold it up with my arm. =)

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
looks really well made! how well does it work?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks really well made! how well does it work?

Thanks. I dont have a lot of experience using a box blade but so far I'm really impressed. It smoothed my driveway out better than any thing else ive tried. I went out and played in the field later and other than it being a little hard to lift after a while i have no complaints.

·
Farm Show
5,382 Posts
The box blade you made is cool! Ok, now I got to put that one on the to-do list!:homer:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Lookin good on that boxblade. I made my own too about ten years ago when I needed a 48" heavy duty one. I did put a pivoting rear blade on mine that hangs about 1" below the frt blade so when you're going forward it pivots up and drags on the grd, helps smooth out the area you're working.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
I'll bet that works better than a commercially made one. Nice work!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.