My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to see everyones home made BBQs. I want to make one. I was thinking of making one of our gas grills into one by taking out the gas burners. I could make one out of a 275 oil tank but that would be to big for everyday use. I want it to be wood fired. I want to see your ideas thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone converted an old gas grill into a BBQ/ smoker

·
Registered
63 Posts
Some nicely built cookers you gentleman have, but... the ghetto smokers... now that's *******:trink39:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
The Ghetto smokers are as red neck as it gets! They work better then you can imagine. Temperature control is excellent and the racks make it easy to load it up. We use a water pan on the floor of the oven and it adds moisture as it cooks. The fire is contained in the broiler drawer and you can add fuel or take it away with ease.

Fish, fowl, pork, beef, venison, wild rabbit, we have cooked it all.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I don't have a picture of it, but a co-worker made one out of two stainless steel 55 gallon drums, both vertical, one over the other. These drums are used for food containers, and if you ever find some, grab 'em! They are over $1000 new, but sometimes scrap places have 'em.

·
Registered
774 Posts

Ain't nuttin fancy, but functional. I built this about 5 yrs ago out of an old 3-bay sink and some 9/16 decking, expanded metal and some square bar. This is a WV friendly BBQ. I incorporated an old scissor jack on the non-wheeled side. Not much flat ground 'round here

Havin sum wings, taters and onions. All wood here, ain't bought charcoal in 15 yrs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm working on a vertical drum smoker. I got a stainless steel 55 gallon drum, and I'm adding various bits of SS hardware. For now, I'm using a Weber lid, but I have a stainless lid on order. The last picture is the fire basket, which usually sits in the bottom, but I can put it up near the top for direct grilling like stakes. The 3 brackets sticking out support it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The pig cooker I built from scrap around the yard in 5 days. We had a guy lined up to cook a big hog for a family reunion a few years ago and the gentleman (term gentleman used lightly) backed out 5 days before event. Anyhow, a few pics from start to finish.

Old woodstove spawns idea

A little re-bracing and strengthening to an old Home Depot cheapy trailer

A little chop and channel to the stove...

Some camper jacks for balance and a little more progress

Caught in the act

After it's first cook

Here piggy piggy piggy

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's better now...it's REBUILT!

Friend was throwing away an old grill. He didn't like the way it cooked.
I changed the design a little...

Upon arrival

Some scrap steel

A solid box

Cut and build a door

Attached

A little paint

A little smoke

Equals a lot of food

1 - 20 of 25 Posts