My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built this target thrower 15 years ago, it made our shooting 10x's more fun and enjoyable. got the idea out of a catalog...

It doesn't move a bit when the target gets set loose, stays put like it were concreted in the ground.. I built it so it's seat is as high as a kitchen chair. The shelf welded to the side is a target box holder, it's worked out well too.

Friends of all proportions have thrown targets on it and not one has complained about the seat's distance to the thrower, I must have got it just right. I was going to weld two pieces of 2" angle iron to the plate the seat mounts to and drill hole a through the angle Irons and drill a few holes along the beam for some adjustment but where it sets has never been a problem for anyone.

Friends say it needs a tube down the back of the thrower's mounting plate.... I'm not an engineer but I thought it needed some place to give up up and down forces and to absorb vibrations so I didn't weld a rear brace to the throwers mounting plate.

Good shooting guys. :fing32:

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken N Tx it's always nice to hear the shooting sports are alive and being passed on to a new generation. One of the biggest kicks at being a grandfather for me is hearing my young grandsons always ask first for a new gun for their birthday's and Christmas.

I got the 10 year old a BB gun last year for his birthday and he loves it like I did mine. We always carried our BB guns where ever we went, like the cowboys on TV did. Back then when America was less diverse seeing a kid carrying a gun down the street was seen as a normal healthy young boys activity. Today's gang trash has ruined it for the good guys.

He's been trained, wears safety glasses and goes out in the woods and fields with it on his own now. :fing32:

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Thats a real nice set up.. How bout installing a back rest that has a handle built into it to help in moving it. None the less its a nice looking build you did. I would love to have room here for one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Team green.

No one has complained about it not having a back rest. I think because you have to lean forward to load it and because your not on it that long, everyone wants their turn to operate it.

The seat is surprisingly comfortable, I cut the size and shape of the wood so it wouldn't have edges that cut into legs.

I have thought about putting on one of those plastic boat seats that fold down and a telescoping handle on it, just everything gets pushed to the back because something else comes along.

I made one from an old semi rim that I filled with concrete for the property too.

I also have one that uses a Ford vans electric door lock servo and a switch I made from a hinge and two pieces of treated deck wood to throw the targets. I used an old extension cord which plugs into my pickups cigarette lighter for powering it. I could throw targets buy myself with it.

I have quit shooting on the property though because of the government's complaining about lead...I may be made to clean it up one day.

A little story: Once my neighbor was digging in his farm field and a small airplane that checks the pipeline dropped a roll of toilet paper down with phone number for him to call. They are watching us.

Also I was reading a year or so ago an article on an online farm magazine about how the the government is using satellites to check farmers for pollution and growing crops they are getting paid not to grow.

I'm afraid to change my oil anymore, if the EPA sees a spot in front of the shop they might call out an EPA person and bill me for a crew to come out and clean the oil up. :fing32:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts