My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A neighbor had this cylinder shaft but it was too short for big bales. My baler makes 3' X 3' bales and the shaft is just the right length. I built this spear from 2" square tubing for my B2320 FEL and the 3pt. Works great front and rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. I use it mostly on the FEL. It can stack bales 3 high on trailers. There is a short brace for the top of the bucket that comes off to mount on the 3 point hitch. It's removable because it would interfere with the top link.

You can see I use a 2" wide ratchet strap that goes from the top of the spear around back of the bucket and to the front edge of the bucket. Pic doesn't show this but I've added a re-bar loop to the bottom of the spear so that the strap hooks over the front edge AND through the loop. The attachments at the 3 point hitches have a 1/2" bolt underneath that are screwed in only to touch the bucket. Then a lock nut is tightened. Won't come off.

Thanks Slkpk!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I use it mostly on the FEL. It can stack bales 3 high on trailers. There is a short brace for the top of the bucket that comes off to mount on the 3 point hitch. It's removable because it would interfere with the top link.

You can see I use a 2" wide ratchet strap that goes from the top of the spear around back of the bucket and to the front edge of the bucket. Pic doesn't show this but I've added a re-bar loop to the bottom of the spear so that the strap hooks over the front edge AND through the loop. The attachments at the 3 point hitches have a 1/2" bolt underneath that are screwed in only to touch the bucket. Then a lock nut is tightened. Won't come off.

Thanks Slkpk!
This should say, The attachments at the FEL have 1/2" bolts underneath that. . .
Square Dude

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why not just weld some hooks in the bucket for the straps. I would worry about them getting caught on something outside the bucket.
Actually, I've used the hay spear for several hundred bales now and it works perfectly. There is only one 2" strap and I cut it short a long time ago so there are no hanging straps to get caught on anything. The short end wraps around the ratchet and stays up there. I do find that when loading bales in a trailer sometimes the heads of the attachment bolts snag on part of the trailer as I back away. But its never been a problem. This is sort of an older thread that I saw some confusing text in and corrected. But, I'm glad to read your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
With my luck I would have caught the strap on something long time ago. Have had no luck with ratchet straps that need to wrap around things. Even when strapping lumber to the trailer I put the loose ends under the strap before tightening to protect the strap and still go threw a couple sets a year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts