My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy who had me swap engines on an old 22" walk behind brush mower. He had a 3 HP B&S sitting in the garage; (hor shaft; this thing is belt driven) model 80232;
ever hear of a "Moz-all"?
In doing the swap (it had a 2.5HP Tec on it that he let sit outside and had no spark; I'm thinking he shoulda instead had me fix "that" problem instead;
so anyway I bolt the 3HP Briggs on ( sticker on the machine says it was originally a 4HP engine) and find it back-firing; ome to find out, it had a sheared flywheel key.

So I change that out, and it starts 1st pull; runs good. EXCEPT that someone (whoever he got this engine from I guess) made a link from the air vane to the carb from a piece of coat hanger and put a who-knows-what gov spring on this thing; and then they cranked up the idle stop screw to "compensate"; so that it runs 1 constant speed (about midrange) and won't "govern"; instead it bogs and dies instead of opening the butterfly to compensate for the load;

So I stopped at the local small engine shop who had the correct gov link and spring in stock; COOOL! until I went to pay the bill;
I'm looking at the parts ticket as we speak; B&S 261663 Link-air vane $17.62; B&S 692205 Spring-governor; $4.13; total w/tax for these 2 items? $23.11 WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON WITH BRIGGS PARTS????? that is totally insane/ridiculous;
and yet I have 2, 130000 series 5HP Briggs' sitting here that I cannot even get a "hit" on via Craigslist at $65/ea! I'll detail all that was done to these 2 engines seperately; but definitely more than $65 worth of work if done in a shop for sure!

the last time I was at this place for Briggs parts (~2 months ago; been there more recently for other stuff) they robbed me for $15 for a **** set of POINTS AND CONDENSER!!! in Genuine B&S packaging but the label on that box the tuneup parts came in said made in CHINA!!!!

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
Don,

Ill look up the Suggessted List Price in the price book when I get to work today. Please keep in mind that this is only suggessted LIST PRICE, most smart business savey dealers sell parts above manufacturers list price however.

·
748 Posts
Briggs and stratton suggested list price is 261663 $13.55, 692205 3.50

my dealership price file 261663 $17.70, 692205=6.30

So they are not way out of line at all....

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Don. You just told the whole world you are cheap. Just do like I do. Honey look what I got you for your birthday. Don if you need anymore help getting threw life, just let me know.:sidelaugh

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a buddy who had me swap engines on an old 22" walk behind brush mower. He had a 3 HP B&S sitting in the garage; (hor shaft; this thing is belt driven) model 80232.
Are you sure that's a 3 hp? I have an 80232 on my edger and it's labeled 2 hp. It's a 1975 model and it runs good, but I will take special care of those linkages now that I know how expensive they are.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Briggs and stratton suggested list price is 261663 $13.55, 692205 3.50

my dealership price file 261663 $17.70, 692205=6.30

So they are not way out of line at all....
for that stupid spring and piece of wire linkage? Yes they are way out of line.... that is nuts! I am gonna keep a copy of that invoice to show the next guy that complains that $65 is too much for a whole, running, 5HP Briggs!!!!
why would such small piddly pieces be listed at such a high price?
I priced a carb kit for a Walbro on a 12-1/2 HP Briggs (289707) and.... $55!! I just rebuilt that whole engine, but considering that (for a needle seat and a few gaskets) I will take a chance that the carb on that engine wont need an overhaul! I never used to think twice about boiling out/fixing a small engine carb... I mean, the kit for the Carter 4 barrel on the 318 in my (daily driver) truck wasn't even that expensive!

they must be trying to price us out of repairs thinking we we'll instead buy complete new engines for the smallest simplest of repairs. (adding to the "throw a way" nature of today's world)

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure that's a 3 hp? I have an 80232 on my edger and it's labeled 2 hp. It's a 1975 model and it runs good, but I will take special care of those linkages now that I know how expensive they are.
yup; orig paint and decals; clearly says "3 HP" I've had 2 HP ones whose model number starts with "6".
and I have a 3 HP of my own here, with that same model number (different type and code from the engine in the subject of this post) but mine, too, is a 3 HP.

·
748 Posts
for that stupid spring and piece of wire linkage? Yes they are way out of line.... that is nuts! I am gonna keep a copy of that invoice to show the next guy that complains that $65 is too much for a whole, running, 5HP Briggs!!!!
why would such small piddly pieces be listed at such a high price?
I priced a carb kit for a Walbro on a 12-1/2 HP Briggs (289707) and.... $55!! I just rebuilt that whole engine, but considering that (for a needle seat and a few gaskets) I will take a chance that the carb on that engine wont need an overhaul! I never used to think twice about boiling out/fixing a small engine carb... I mean, the kit for the Carter 4 barrel on the 318 in my (daily driver) truck wasn't even that expensive!

they must be trying to price us out of repairs thinking we we'll instead buy complete new engines for the smallest simplest of repairs. (adding to the "throw a way" nature of today's world)

Simply put...Supply and demand... these parts are older, there is very little demand so they think when we sell them were gonna make money on them. I agree that is a crazy price.

I just rebuild a 14.5Briggs Vangard engine and the con rod as like 72 bucks... that is crazy stuff!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Simply put...Supply and demand... these parts are older, there is very little demand so they think when we sell them were gonna make money on them. ....... that is crazy stuff!
In supply and demand theory , low demand (as i old parts) should bring the price down, not up. Price should go up if there is a short supply and big demand. So sure supply of old parts is now low but so is the demand , so pricing should be stable?

·
748 Posts
In theroy your correct, but now we enter the world of Briggs and Stratton...or as we say in the industry...THE BIG GORILLA! Briggs and stratton has 5 levels of parts depending on what type of dealer classification you are they tend to jam certain parts down your throat and make you stock them For Example my dealership is an Authorized Service dealer we are required by our briggs distributor to stock all Code 1 parts and some Code 2 parts. Code 3 an 4 parts are in stocked and available from our distributor, and Code 5 is from the factory only. An example of a code 1 part would be the little primer bulb on the carb of a walk behind mower or an armature. A code 5 part would be a crankshaft for an 18hp engine that was manufactured in 1975.

When a part code is downgraded say for example from a 2 to a 3, I am allowed to return that part. The part is then reboxed if necessary and put back into the distributors inventory. (there is a cost of repackaging which is passed on to the price of the part)-see where Im going here...

If Briggs and Stratton has to have a short run of Code 5 replacement parts made for them, you can bet they are going to pay a pretty penny for them and they are going to pass it on to you. Look at the part you just purchased and ask youself when is the last time you have seen that same part on a current production engine.

So therefore... THE BIG GORILLA has the mentatlity that if we have to keep the parts in the service parts inventory we are going to pay a premium for them.

Dont believe me...Just try buying some older parts for the Simplicity or Snapper products... They will make money off you...

Someday when I have time I will explain why most smart business savey dealers charge more the Suggested list for thier parts.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I remember I had an old,old hay mower . A dealer had a bearing for it but it was pricey. My friend, who is also a dealer, told me to make him an offer. He said, how long will it be on his shelf before he gets another offer, if he doesn't take mine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a buddy who had me swap engines on an old 22" walk behind brush mower. He had a 3 HP B&S sitting in the garage; (hor shaft; this thing is belt driven) model 80232;
ever hear of a "Moz-all"?
In doing the swap (it had a 2.5HP Tec on it that he let sit outside and had no spark; I'm thinking he shoulda instead had me fix "that" problem instead;
so anyway I bolt the 3HP Briggs on ( sticker on the machine says it was originally a 4HP engine) and find it back-firing; ome to find out, it had a sheared flywheel key.

So I change that out, and it starts 1st pull; runs good. EXCEPT that someone (whoever he got this engine from I guess) made a link from the air vane to the carb from a piece of coat hanger and put a who-knows-what gov spring on this thing; and then they cranked up the idle stop screw to "compensate"; so that it runs 1 constant speed (about midrange) and won't "govern"; instead it bogs and dies instead of opening the butterfly to compensate for the load;

So I stopped at the local small engine shop who had the correct gov link and spring in stock; COOOL! until I went to pay the bill;
I'm looking at the parts ticket as we speak; B&S 261663 Link-air vane $17.62; B&S 692205 Spring-governor; $4.13; total w/tax for these 2 items? $23.11 WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON WITH BRIGGS PARTS????? that is totally insane/ridiculous;
and yet I have 2, 130000 series 5HP Briggs' sitting here that I cannot even get a "hit" on via Craigslist at $65/ea! I'll detail all that was done to these 2 engines seperately; but definitely more than $65 worth of work if done in a shop for sure!

the last time I was at this place for Briggs parts (~2 months ago; been there more recently for other stuff) they robbed me for $15 for a **** set of POINTS AND CONDENSER!!! in Genuine B&S packaging but the label on that box the tuneup parts came in said made in CHINA!!!!

All points and condenser sets are getting HIGH. I have an old 74 ford pinto that had the old points ignition in it (last year for points) and they are like $20 JUST for the points, not including the condenser.

Now, I'm only 25 so most of these points type vehicles were long gone before I got into cars. BUT, the way i understand it a set of points used to be 3 or 4 bucks and you usually had an extra set or two in the glove box. I rarely drive the car so its not a big concern of mine (getting a fuel injected 2.3L turbo this winter or next spring anyways) but still thats alot of money for a set of points.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts