My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are my dream front tires:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-16x6-50-8-Firestone-3-Rib-Front-Garden-Tractor-Tire-/220629775478?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335e8f3476

I also like these, along with the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-16X6-50-8-4P-Deestone-Super-Lug-Tires-PAIR-DS5291-/390094803352?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad3765198

I know the ags won't steer as well as the tri ribs, but I can't pay almost $200 for 2 front tires. Anyone with front ags, how do they steer? I like that they will compliment the rear ags I have now. Also I want to keep the 16x6.5-8 size.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Get These

and fine a set of narrow rims... You will NOT be sorry!!
0725101838_1.JPG

TRI_2.jpg

TRI_7.jpg

Attachments

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I like those, but with the ags I can keep my wider rims. Course if I went with yours, I wouldnt have to repaint my rusty old wheels! How wide and were did you find those wheels (sorry, I could just go dig up your post but I'm too lazy!) I'd really like to see the 16" ags on the front of any tractor.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Anyone with front ags said:
I installed Nanco 4ply 16x6.5-8 Ags (Sears Auto under $60 a pr. shipped) on the front of my Ingersoll and the steering (5 psi) while plowing with a 54" blade was MUCH improved over the turfs they replaced. Running 15 psi for summer and they work fine for me. YMMV

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
My rims are 3.75" (close to 4") inside lip to inside lip, and i bought mine off Small Fry but you can find them on ebay all the time from Sears that had 4.80 4.00 8 or 4-8 tires on them- they fit the customs and any sears tractor that had the 3/4" shaft.

Original Sears parts number is 8171H1

www.searspartsdirect.com has a "substitution replacement" PN 148736X417
but it does not have a picture or specs on it...

They steer awesome!! Like having power steering on these tractors! I haven't used them in snow yet, but have been told there is nothing better in snow.

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed Nanco 4ply 16x6.5-8 Ags (Sears Auto under $60 a pr. shipped) on the front of my Ingersoll and the steering (5 psi) while plowing with a 54" blade was MUCH improved over the turfs they replaced. Running 15 psi for summer and they work fine for me. YMMV
You wouldn't happen to have a pic would you. I was even contemplating going up to 24" rears and 18" fronts for a bigger look, but I think the 16x6 will be fine with me.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have a pic would you. I was even contemplating going up to 24" rears and 18" fronts for a bigger look, but I think the 16x6 will be fine with me.

I`ll work on a pic, BUT, determine the clearance to your mower deck or plow blade at full steering lock or plow angle before fitting larger diameter tires. Won`t work on a Case/Ingy. The other issue is whether you have sufficient adjustment to level the mower deck. Just a thought

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a front plow, but I could see the clearance issues.

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/16x6-50-8-V61-5-Rib-John-Deere-Garden-Tractor-Tires-/350270477355?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518dbf542b

And, they are from a MyTractorForum.com advertiser.
There are others who have these already and love them. They will be my next choice for my JD 318. I’m sure some of the owners will weigh in soon.
Good Luck
I don't know if those would "cut" when I turn in soft soil. With the factory sears ribs on my SS/18 the front end pushes when pulling my rotospader or moldboarding. I know the skinnier tri ribs is probably the way to go, but I like the look of the fatter tri ribs. I'm just wondering if the ag pattern would cut and turn in soft soil. I know with big tractors, they use the ags on the 4wd ones, but the tri ribs on the 2wd ones. But the price difference is huge!

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
I would go with the V61's. Those are my next set of tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts