My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a WH guy and am starting to like these, what are the history of the economy and pk tractors, how hard are parts to come by

·
Still plays with tractors
2,354 Posts
They came out in 1946 and only made about 50 that year. They quit making them in 1996 or there abouts. Parts are not as hard to find as some folks would like to believe. I have a list of sources that I go to when I need parts. My PK has never been down for more than a day unless I just didn't have time to get back to it.

I am a Wheelhorse guy too but the PKs are first around here. A Wheelhorse will work and do just about anything you ask it to, but the PK will take it a step further. Strong machine that will work far beyond it's advertised capabilities.

Is there anything specific to history that you are looking for? The company had some internal (read family) problems and records were destroyed. They are hard to pin down as far as what each year should have in the way of sheet metal and options. At least around the design change years. It was a typical small tractor company of the time (post WWII) taking anything they could get their hands on to make a tractor. They did better than most.

·
2,354 Posts
I guess I should add that the Turner family was the brainchild behind these little gems. Bought and sold so many times in the 90s and finally, the rights came to rest with Mission Manufacturing in Princton, Indiana. They still are very active in selling what's left on parts and implements. I hear they are considering having some parts made but I don't know if that ever went anywhere.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should add that the Turner family was the brainchild behind these little gems. Bought and sold so many times in the 90s and finally, the rights came to rest with Mission Manufacturing in Princton, Indiana. They still are very active in selling what's left on parts and implements. I hear they are considering having some parts made but I don't know if that ever went anywhere.
What motors were in them, who owned them, why did they go bust? And they are the same as economy and jim dandy??

·
2,354 Posts
They all started out as Economy. Later (50s) the Power King and Jim Dandy names came out as model names. Later yet, the Economy name was changed to Power King and the model number began to reflect the tire size and horse power. Example, a tractor with a 14hp engine and 16" rear wheels would be a 1614, or one with 24" rear wheels and an 18hp engine would be a 2418, etc. They also built the Country Squire and some Red E tractors. A rare beast that they built would be a Power Queen which would be like a low rider version that was supposed to appeal to the ladies.

They came with a wide variety of engines by Wisconsin, Briggs and Kohler. The variations are just too many to list here, believe me.

As I said in my last post, the Turner family came up with these and owned the company (known as Engineering Products) for a majority of their existence. They were manufactured in Wisconsin. They never were big on marketing which I believe was a contributing factor to their demise. Also, with Kubota exploding on the scene with the compact tractor, nobody wanted these little tractors anymore. The family (as well as subsiquent owners later on) really didn't handle the business the way it should have been handled. That said, there's no way the same tractor would ever sell today. They are too well built and have no frills. Since when did having a drink holder on a tractor become a priority?

·
2,354 Posts
You may want to join the big Power King group on yahoo groups. They have tons of pictures of just about anything you can imagine having to do with PKs. Power Queen pictures are very hard to come by but I think they have scans of a brochure on the group somewhere. I probably have some Country Squire pics somewhere but it would be faster if you checked out that group to be honest.

·
2,354 Posts
Well, we'll have to properly ID the year of your tractor as well as the engine. First off, post the serial number of the tractor so we can determine the year. Second, the briggs engines that were offered in 65 were a 9hp and a 10hp. All other offered engines were kohlers. Once we determine the year of your tractor, we can narrow down the engine for you, unless this was a new engine that was installed in your tractor.

:MTF_wel:

·
Registered
57 Posts
well it says L10679F on the clutch cover/bell housing. and it says BS on the front engine cover. but i do not know where the numbers or markings would be on the motor. I guess its a 67? I know have three, well two and a half of these tractors and am tryin to learn all i can. I love em. and thanks for your speedy responce

·
2,354 Posts
Your tractor is a 1964. There were two models of Briggs engines offered in 1964 and both were 9hp. Model 23AFB and 23DFB. I have no idea what the letters are for. Your tractor should have one of those engines IF the engine is original. I know many of the briggs engines I've had had the engine numbers stamped into the sheet metal and is very difficult to see if you're not looking for it. I don't think you will find an actual sticker or anything like that on that engine. You'll have to clean it upo and look VERY carefully.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 1964 (X10846E) with a 23DFB briggs and the D is supposed to mean the points are on the side of the block and the C means the points are under the flywheel, at least that is what I've been told. As far as the X and E in the serial #, thats supposed to mean certain changes in options or something like that.:goodl:

·
Registered
573 Posts
FB stands for flange bearing. This engine will have ball bearings on both ends of the crankshaft. You need the bearing on the front (flywheel end) of the crankshaft to take the load of the mower or attachment that uses the front PTO.

BUD

·
2,354 Posts
It's a 1965.

·
Registered
57 Posts
well, i got the engine to the shop...curius to find out what hp it is...i didnt look around for numbers cause i didnt want to clean it before it got to the shop...im not sure if they would want to see the evidence of how it was running prior to rebuild.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts