My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of sounding like a total nimrod----how do you know BEFORE it's too late on how much of an incline my 2305 can handle before the green & blue swap sides?:Stop:
I have a section of a hillside that gives me a thrill every time I mow it. I think I may be a little too conservative but how do you know without lifting wheels? Is there any kind of formula or rule of thumb?
I know to mow up & down it but I like to change cutting directions to not trench in the same rows.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I understand wanting to change mowing directions, consider going over the first mow half way, if it's that steep I would not consider other directions other than up or down.

As for when do you know, it's hard to explain, I can feel it but then again staff have told me they took bets on a jobsite saying I would roll doing whatever, never have as I know how far I can push the various CUT's.

I was moving fill today with the 2520 for a client and placing it around his pool, I have no idea how steep the incline was but buddy she was desperate steep. He had hired a skid steer to do the job and I guess the fellow quit after a few buckets, not sure why as a skid steer would be in my experience more stable than what I was doing.

If it's desperate steep, I always remind the staff to keep the unit in four wheel drive.

·
Registered
264 Posts
if I'm not sure, I cut it diagonally b/c I too like to change directions so as not to rut the yard up, when diagonal, if it picks up a tire, I WILL NOT go sideways on it.....I do wear my seatbelt and keep it in 4wd

·
Banned
297 Posts
No,no formula,no set degree,go up and down on steep stuff,not side ways,,but on side ways not that steep,you'll just have to go slow and experiment a little,but theres a point you will turn it over.

Load your rear tires if they ain't already,it helps.

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
I got several steep hills I mow also. Its funny in that some days I'm comfortable mowing around the hill and some days I just can't do it. I've had two scares mowing on steep hills. One was when I was just about at my pucker limit when the down hill front tire dropped into a hidden gopher hole. I thought it was all over that day.

The second time was when the ROPS caught a tree trunk. I have all of my tree branches cut off high enough to clear the ROPS, but several trees have trunks that angle out of the ground. Well, one day I was on that silly hillside and the upper corner of the ROPS just snagged the tree trunk and the front end of the tractor raised up and the entire tractor pivoted around the tree.

Now my neighbor says I am just way too conservative and just a Scaredy Cat . He says none of my hills at that steep, and I should be able to buzz around with out a care in the world. ( he is also the neighbor who turned over his Bobcat and the only thing that saved him from going into the pond upside down was a sapling)I guess we are all different, and we all have different limits.

Be safe and live

·
Registered
127 Posts
On my 855, it's 2wd, It will slide off a slope normally before it tips. I don't have any added ballast, just a 60 inch deck. If I'm mowing along a road ditch, and it doesn't slide, it tips enough that the uphill wheel spins, I usually then push the upper brake pedal down to make the lower wheel drive and get off the hillside. I take it slow. It just takes time to get used to a vehicles limits. We recently bought a Gator about 6 months ago to do some pasture spraying and fence fixing. I'm just now getting used to what it will and won't do. I know you don't want to bottom the frame out when you can't get something big to it to pull it out. There's no moving it then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts