My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
check out radiant floor heat with pex..........simple and easy to do. Very silent. Standard cheap water. The pex connectors are not bad. you would only need a few and there are some cheap crimping tools for the few connections you would be doing. Its just another option to consider. OH and your bare feet would be warm everytime they touched the floor.
Oh yea , right B4 I got out of the binnus they ( salesmen) came around with the plastic pipe w/crimpers that went into/under a wooden floor, If thats what your talking about. And like you said a warm floor cant be beat....exept maybe a warm toilet seat lol !

·
2k Sarcastic Post CLUB
2,233 Posts
Oh yea , right B4 I got out of the binnus they ( salesmen) came around with the plastic pipe w/crimpers that went into/under a wooden floor, If thats what your talking about. And like you said a warm floor cant be beat....exept maybe a warm toilet seat lol !
that tooo:tango_face_grin:

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, we're gonna try something a little different and a lot more simple to see if it works.

Like I said, the back room where the stove is used to be an outside porch. The wall between there and what is now the bedroom had a window in it. When the previous owners enclosed the porch, they took the window out, framed it and covered it with drywall on the bedroom side. When I started working on the place, I tore that out and converted it to a built in bookcase/storage shelf.

The more I looked at all this, I figured out I could cut a hole in the back of that and mount a computer case fan powered by a 12V system I already had in that room for other things. I already had a fan in an old computer no longer being used, so I scavenged that for now to test out. I can get new ones for under $10 if I decide to go this way.

With the stove in that room, that temperature gets to 80 or more in the area behind this former window, now bookcase, so this fan is just moving that warmer air from one side of the wall to the other.

That fan is more quiet than most others and I may not even notice once I get used to it.

So, for no cost at all and an hour's work, I may have a workable solution. I'll watch the temperature in the room for a while and may decide to mount a second fan for which there is more than enough room.

Some fine hardware cloth or screen and a little oak molding/trim will make decent grills to dress them up.

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
That'll work...

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
First time I've been on the forum for a couple of months after the big login change. Lot's of problems getting on, tried today and it works.

Bout the hydronics systems. The kind of setup you are contemplating are easy to build but the best bet is to make them a zero pressure system with a float valve to maintain the water level. Having a simple open vent to prevent pressure buildup at the highest point in the system will vent any steam in the event of overtemp situations.

Since you have a simple way to move the air from one room to the other I'd sure take advantage of that. Remember, a large fan running slow will be a lot quieter than a small fan running at high speed and move just as much air. Cheap box fans on low speed are a good option. Adding a furnace filter will remove an amazing amount of dust and crud from the house air.

Mike

·
Blank Space
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Single fan seemed to work OK, so I doubled it. Found a deal on computer fans, so I ordered a 5 pack. Mounted two, painted them white along with some hardware cloth to match the panel on the back of the book case. Did some quick hook up for a switch to be mounted later when I find one. The two fans are almost silent, but not quite. They don't move a lot of air like window fan would, but enough to keep the room warmer.

Need to add a little bit of trim molding along the corners of the former window turned book case though to give things a more finished look.

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts