My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
cvc944
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am told there is a valve that can keep our tractors from speeding up going downhill. Can you tell me what is it called, where to get it? I'd like to take at least some terror out of mowing my hill. Thanx for your time.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
What you are referring to is called a holding valve that was offered as a bolt on option on older tractors. The functionality of this valve was later built into the travel control valve and is now a standard feature. If you wish to retrofit your tractor you will have to locate the add-on valve used since they are no longer available through Ingersoll or anywhere else. The other option is to purchase a new travel control valve with that feature and replace your existing one. Second option will require relocating the travel valve by approximately 5/8" and adjusting (bending) the metal tubes slightly to accommodate the new location. Either one of these valves typically sell on ebay for $200-250.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Hello all. I am told there is a valve that can keep our tractors from speeding up going downhill. Can you tell me what is it called, where to get it? I'd like to take at least some terror out of mowing my hill. Thanx for your time.
Bart has covered, well, the options, but you may want to spend a little time on a learning curve to use what you already have.

If you have an owners manual (surely you do) it is covered in there, The key is to maintain high engine rpm will pulling the travel lever back, gently, into the "retard" position. It does take a little practice to learn to do this smoothly, but it can be quite effective, and don't cost a thing.

All that said, the holding valve, in either configuration is nice!

·
cvc944
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the excellent info. I never bought a manual, but I soon will.
I really like this orange machine and expect to rebuild it over the next 100 or so years. Can't wait to try out the less expensive option of using the retard lever tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts