My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:

I just bought a used 2185. It has a Kohler Command 25 motor installed. I ran it for about 5 minutes, and the muffler and pipe had heated the muffler box super hot. Smoke was coming out of the front of the tractor. Somewhere on the forum I read that these tractors run hot, and stuff can accumulate in the muffler box. I plan on running the tractor with the sides removed

Questions:
1. How do you open this box up to clean it? (see attachments). This is the silver box that protects the hood and front from the heat of the exhaust pipe.
2. This mower had a broken valve cover, and I imagine some oil was blown into the muffler during the time it was run. I can run it more to see if it clears up. The smoke smelled like oil, not clippings.
3. Has anyone found a way to route the exhaust pipe out the side to avoid the buildup of heat ?
4. I read on the forum that someone had a muffler split which was heating up the fuel filter. I haven't had that problem yet, but will watch for it.

The mower starts and runs great. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks !

Attachments

·
10K and Climbin!
12,302 Posts
Sounds like there's a restriction in the muffler box.. Getting the thing off is some fun as I've just swapped out M/B's on a couple cubs here.. First off, check the bottom outlet and ensure it isn't bent or crushed or full of mud or bees or sumthin.. The box is held on by 3 bolts through the front frame and they are fun to get at.. remove the PTO drive belt and the front lower belt pulley as the bolts are directly behind those.. Next step is to thoroughly soak said nuts/studs with PB blaster and let them soak a while. Next thing (I should have done) is to remove as much rust from the studs as possible so the nuts won't bind up/break the studs off during removal..:banghead3
The best solution is to just replace the muffler box as there really isn't an easy way to empty the old one out as there isn't really a clear shot (exit pipe is curved) to clean it out except to shake it out..:duh: (Costs about $200 from a dealer.. It's your call.. :goodl:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'm confused here (as is my custom). Is the smoke coming out from the tin work (heat shielding) around the muffler, or out the side exhaust pipe? This area does run HOT. I had the same setup on my 2544. Occasionally I'd get a leaf or two up in there and smell like Cheech and Chong for awhile. :thThumbsU The exhaust is routed to the side on this and is a pretty good setup IMO, if you have to have under-hood exhaust on this engine configuration.

Joel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure of the exact nature of the smoke, but it appears to be coming from the grill near the muffler box. I looked in there as best as I could, and didn't see any clippings, etc. I'm going to run it more this weekend, and see if the smoke dissipates as any residual oil burns off. Other than oil, which could enter the muffler from the engine, I'm not sure how anything could get in here, because it seems like there is very little area to collect clipping or debris.

In terms of the muffler, does anyone know if I could snake out the muffler with a wire ? I'll probably try this approach first. Exhaust is definitely coming out the outlet pipe, so it can't be clogged too badly. If this situation continues, I think I'll try to rig up something where I get another muffler, route the pipes out the side, and rig it up to be a vertical configuration. I could do this much cheaper than $200. This tractor is an ugly duckling anyway, so I don't care where the muffler is mounted. Has anyone ever rigged up a muffler like this to a tractor? I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks !

·
Registered
150 Posts
If it's white oil smoke, you may just have too much oil in the crank case... Does it occur more on rough ground or on a steep slope? Check oil level first!
Also if this tractor was on it's side there may just be oil in the cylinders...
Either way, stay close to a fire extinguisher!
If it doesn't smell like grass, then it isn't grass.. If it smells like burning oil, it's oil.. lol
Check the oil level, and run it for an extended period, Just make sure you don't burn the thing up!
Jonathan

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Either way, stay close to a fire extinguisher!
Indeed.

Smoke should be taken very seriously because it could become fire very quickly. If the source of smoke is not from INSIDE the engine (as seen from the exhaust) I suggest a partial or even full disassembly of the frame (not as big a deal as it sounds) to remove all foreign material (grass, nests, whatever).

·
10K and Climbin!
12,302 Posts
Not sure of the exact nature of the smoke, but it appears to be coming from the grill near the muffler box. I looked in there as best as I could, and didn't see any clippings, etc. I'm going to run it more this weekend, and see if the smoke dissipates as any residual oil burns off. Other than oil, which could enter the muffler from the engine, I'm not sure how anything could get in here, because it seems like there is very little area to collect clipping or debris.

In terms of the muffler, does anyone know if I could snake out the muffler with a wire ? I'll probably try this approach first. Exhaust is definitely coming out the outlet pipe, so it can't be clogged too badly. If this situation continues, I think I'll try to rig up something where I get another muffler, route the pipes out the side, and rig it up to be a vertical configuration. I could do this much cheaper than $200. This tractor is an ugly duckling anyway, so I don't care where the muffler is mounted. Has anyone ever rigged up a muffler like this to a tractor? I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks !
I hear ya on the $200.. I didn't buy one either (the whole tractor was 350!) I did find one locally for $100 but didn't want to spend that much either.. You can try checking/snaking the thing out through the end pipe first off (like I alluded to above. Others have relayed tips or things to check also.. As I resd through them I'm wondering if one cylinder is running hot.. Pull & read your plugs.. If one shows signs of overheating check for plugged cooling fins, intake leak, etc.. :goodl:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Everyone:

I just bought a used 2185. It has a Kohler Command 25 motor installed. I ran it for about 5 minutes, and the muffler and pipe had heated the muffler box super hot.

2. This mower had a broken valve cover, and I imagine some oil was blown into the muffler during the time it was run. I can run it more to see if it clears up. The smoke smelled like oil, not clippings.

Thanks !
These Commands are really stout... you can unknowingly have the beginnings of a major problem and they will still seem to run... that is, until they fail altogether and ruin the block.

I can only comment on the valve cover. Valve covers do not "just break". A broken one is an indication of a serious issue that needs to be investigated.

Not sure where yours is broken, but I guess if it is broken around one of the valve cover nuts due to overtightening, that is not so bad.

But if it's cracked on the top or center somewhere like mine did on my Command 25 (2004 GT3235), that's an indication of a serious issue.

Apparently (not certain) my valve cover cracked and then eventually the engine quit all together when the valve's push rod became disengaged from the rocker arm and blew a hole in the valve cover.

Several people have had this problem with early 200x Kohler Commands.

To quickly diagnose if this is your situation, remove the valve cover and check to see if rocker arm bolts are tightened down.

These engines will still run pretty good with rocker arm bolts loosened 0.5" out (which delays & shortens valve opening).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These Commands are really stout... you can unknowingly have the beginnings of a major problem and they will still seem to run... that is, until they fail altogether and ruin the block.

I can only comment on the valve cover. Valve covers do not "just break". A broken one is an indication of a serious issue that needs to be investigated.

Not sure where yours is broken, but I guess if it is broken around one of the valve cover nuts due to overtightening, that is not so bad.

But if it's cracked on the top or center somewhere like mine did on my Command 25 (2004 GT3235), that's an indication of a serious issue.

Apparently (not certain) my valve cover cracked and then eventually the engine quit all together when the valve's push rod became disengaged from the rocker arm and blew a hole in the valve cover.

Several people have had this problem with early 200x Kohler Commands.

To quickly diagnose if this is your situation, remove the valve cover and check to see if rocker arm bolts are tightened down.

These engines will still run pretty good with rocker arm bolts loosened 0.5" out (which delays & shortens valve opening).
Thanks for the feedback on this, great information. My valve cover was damaged from the outside by something smashing into it. It looked like a rod or something smashed a hole into it from the outside. The tractor evidently fell from a ramp, and that's when the damage was done.

·
Registered
150 Posts
We definately need pics :)
FWIW once I checked the oil in my 2165 with the mower not quite level, and it read a bit low, so I added some to where it was right up to the full level.. Well when I went mowing on a side slope it started burning oil pretty badly.. I was like ohh crap now I need a new engine... but as I drove back to the shed it cleared up.. so I kept mowing, and then I realized why it was burning oil only once in a while :banghead3
Since then i worry less about having a perfectly full oil pan.... It runs much better on gasoline than oil ;)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
We definately need pics :)
FWIW once I checked the oil in my 2165 with the mower not quite level, and it read a bit low, so I added some to where it was right up to the full level.. Well when I went mowing on a side slope it started burning oil pretty badly.. I was like ohh crap now I need a new engine... but as I drove back to the shed it cleared up.. so I kept mowing, and then I realized why it was burning oil only once in a while :banghead3
Since then i worry less about having a perfectly full oil pan.... It runs much better on gasoline than oil ;)
That's nothing.

About 15 years ago (when I was a young man) I changed the oil in my tractor, and then had lunch. Returning to the tractor about two hours later with two quarts of oil in my hands, I added two MORE quarts.

I started then engine, taxi'ed out to the field, engaged the PTO, advanced the throttle...

...and I started blowing smoke like a one-man airshow. It was quite the glorious scene.

I shut 'er down and drained about two quarts out. That Onan beast continued to operate without so much as a hic-up for over 1,000 hours of use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts