My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cultivating the corn for the last time this year and I realized, I need a high crop garden tractor! A modified front drop axle, chain driven drop boxes on the rear with a modified long shank cultivator. How cool and useful would that be?The picture below would be perfect. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
The perfect tractor for what you're doing has already been built the Hines H-1600 engine in the rear,high clearance hydro drive,hydraulic lift and the tillage implements in the front where the driver can clearly see everything the cultivator is doing and a Cat 0 tool bar on the rear to mount things like the plow and the track scratcher.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
also a farmall cub

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Another one, very similar to the Hines H-1600, is the Tuff-bilt, which is still being manufactured. Both of them resemble a modern take on an Alis-Chalmers G. Any of them are good row crop tractors.

One tough thing about raising any tractor is all the leverage that the increased height creates. It becomes a lot easier to twist or break axle housings or frames. They are also a lot less stable and easier to tip over. While it can work, and there are a lot of converted high-clearance farm tractors out there, you are making a limited-use machine. If you convert a garden tractor, given the short wheelbase and narrow stance, I wouldn't want to take it onto soft ground. It would be way too easy to roll it over.

If a garden tractor would do the task in all but clearance, you're better off going with a small machine like any of them mentioned in the replies here. You can probably get a Cub with cultivators for less than the cost of fabricating the drop boxes, and they are tough little tractors. With only 14 hp, you could even say you are getting a smaller tractor than your Sears.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All of those are good ideas but none are garden tractors! Although i'd love to have an M... I know there are better machines than lifting a GT and making it top heavy, wearing it out quicker yadda yadda. I just think it would be cool.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
The final drives off a Farmall Cub fit right on a Cub Cadet, I have seen it done.

A little lift to the front axle and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :goodl:

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Thats the problem with turning a garden tractor into a high crop is that it would need to be wider or it would turn over easily probably when a person was climbing up to get on it, with tires like the one in the picture it'd be useless to cultivate with.
Actually Farmall Cub rear wheels will bolt onto a garden tractor with 5 lugs so that'd get one up in the air but then there'd be a whole new set of problems to deal with.
The Simplicity Power Max series have final drives on them that serve the same purpose as short drop boxes and it raises them up right much over a straight axle.I've put narrower tires on them for various things.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the idea of Cub drop boxes.

Brokenbeak, that's not really what I mean but still pretty cool!

gburnett, yea, it would be pretty top heavy but I think manageable on a flat garden. Oh well, just an idea.

·
Outlaw Tractor Collector
2,886 Posts
I think its a pretty good idea. Get an old GT and lift it slightly for high crop garden work. Not a monster mower but not stock hight either. I think if it was just a slight lift and not a crazy high lift you wouldnt have to worry that much about tipping over unless you think about doing hillside work. I also like the cub dropbox idea, seems simple and easy. They made high crop GTs way back in the day, i think they were called Du Alls or Gard N' Masters or something like that. Its not a bad idea, heck its a great idea and can be done pretty easily if you know a little about metal work. Good luck and I hope you decide to build one because I would love to see it when finished

·
Registered
187 Posts
Admittedly, this looked(and worked) a lot better in my head, but using my sophisticated CAD drawing program this is what I came up with.
Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It can be kinda hard to sketch in a CAD program but that looks good. Pretty much what I was thinking. Of course it would be beefier and real life and maybe not quite so high. Thanks for the visual. :fing32:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WOWWWW. That is cool and exactly what I mean! I'd put a bit smaller tires on back but it looks awesome. Not at that price though!

Doesn't look too tipsy now does it guys? :trink39:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts