My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so whats special about a hi-vac deck on a rer ?

is it for mulching ..if so can you use a regular blade ..do you need the ninja ?

if so how do you block the discharge shute ?

thanks

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
HiVac's are great if you plan to pick up clippings;Reg.decks don't have the lip that turns under,so you won't get the vac affect it takes to lift grass and leaves up the chute.Mulching can be done with any deck by blocking the openning.I guess you could fab up a blocking plate for just about any kind.Mine also came with a director if you don't want to use the catcher.BTW,only blades I found that work well w/catcher is the high lift ones with the lift kits.

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
You'll notice a difference if you have both. I have a part of my yard that was under pine trees and I'm working to get grass planted. It's a mess of grass and weeds and stick right now. Last year I mowed it with my 30" (non hivac style deck) and never caught anything. I haven't used that mower this year yet because i have 2 33's this spring. Ran the one 33" (hivac style deck) and could only make once pass. It flung crap all over the place. Things I didn't know existed in the grass came up! Same very high deck height too! I love the non highvac style for bush hogging but don't care much for it in the yard. Mulching should be better with hi-vac since it will suck up the clippings and re-chop better.

T.C.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,075 Posts
Snapper Hi-Vac has, and I have, a regular plug for mulching. Hi-Vac is great for picking up and for mulching, not so great for side discharge.

Walt Conner

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
For side discharge on my hi-vac's I drill a hole in the cover and put a carriage bolt in it and leave about 1/2 inch or so about the flap. I use 2 nuts one on top of the cover and one underneath. I tie a coat hanger around the body tube and the other end of the wire hanger I use to hold the flap up an extra inch or so. It blows quite nicely then. First snapper I ever bought was setup that way so I just keep doing it. Work Excellent. No where near as good as just using a regular deck though.

T.C.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well you guys sure have answered ..alot of things i have noticed about the discharge and picking up stuff

i wondered what the heck was going on

T.C. i will give that a try

thanks again guys

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
That is a pretty crazy looking blade on a Hi vac deck. You would think they would sound like a prat&whitney about ready for the flight line, they look like they would move about that much air.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@tcanthonyii

I would also like to optimise the side discharge on my 33 HiVac. Could you please post a picture of your coat hanger set-up?

If I use that, do I still need the "wings" at the ends of the blade? Or is it better without?

Ciao, Henk

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
The wings don't hurt a thing. The problem with a hi vac deck on tall grass & weeds is that the discharge chute clogs and it turns into a hi vac mulcher.

The bolt & coathanger set up is just to hold the flap up a little so it won't clog. It also won't deflect a little bit either so there is a safety factor to consider.

Used my Hi Vac 33 today in the dogs pen (big pen) when it starts to clog, I used a stick with a branch stub to pull the flap up a little until it clears.

The regular decks don't seem to have much of a clogging problem, but they aren't as suited to use a bagger. If you lose the "wings" and put on a normal blade, you will just have a Hi Vac decks clogging discharge flap with a normal blade that won't bag worth a hoot. Digging your hole deeper.

I like my hi vac just fine as it is, I just find a stick to pull up the flap when I'm mowing stuff I should be bushhogging.

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
Ok here are the pics. I do this for 2 reasons. One for clogging and the other to better distribute the clippings. The first time I used a hi-vac it would leave strips of grass. This solved it. I seriously only lift it up an inch at the most. That's all it needs. I lifted it way up the first time I used it and launched a pine cone 100 feet or better. Had the wings on the blade. So WARNING: DON'T BE STUPID AND LIFT IT MUCH!!! It really doesn't take much. I don't have a problem with deflection at all. I have one 33 that I have this mod on and another w/o. They both fling the same amount of crap, I just don't clog up the one with the mod.

To the comment on the wings -- haven't bagged with out them. It's not too loud but it does a **** good job of picking stuff up. I HAD -- note had -- a bur oak with huge nuts on it. The mower picked a few up and smashed the crap out of my bagger if that tells you how good it is. I'm going to bag this week for the first time w/o the wings. I'll see how it does. I bet not as good though.

Ok here are the pics. And be safe. This will turn it into a death trap if you lift it up too high. It's not like the 30 inchers that throw the stuff straight out the side. If you do a ton of tall grass I recomend one of those. The decks are designed to lift and if the flap is up too high it will lift whatever it finds and it will shoot it almost straight up.

T.C.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanx guys! Clogging (couldn't think of the word) is actually my main problem. If I notice too late, it blocks the blade and as a result the drive belt burns. I have only the black plastic flap and will see if I can safely lift it a little bit. It may not help much since it is relatively light.

The other contributing factor to clogging and blocking the blade is those wings. I feel that my blade would turn much more freely without them. I just never dared to take them off. I never bag, just try to spread as far as possible. If I don't need the wings for that I'm going to try without!

So, a two pronged attack to my problem! Again, Thanks a lot! Henk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the pics

a great mod

also those are some some wicked lights...look good

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
The wings don't hurt a thing. The problem with a hi vac deck on tall grass & weeds is that the discharge chute clogs and it turns into a hi vac mulcher. .
With the chute removed,look at the amount of hole blockage you have.The deck on mine covered about a 1/3 of the opening.Took a marker,traced opening,removed plastic part and cut that sucker to fit!! It didn't affect anything else.The metal guard flap still covers hole when used.All I do with my snap,is pick up stuff,grass and leaves,so it worked fine for me.Other than maybe mine was an odd-ball,looked like an engineering mess-up to me.

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
FYI I bagged half of my yard tonight with wings and half without. I didn't notice much difference with or without the wings on my 33".

T.C.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the info (and the effort!). I also cut yesterday, for the first time without wings.

The difference I see is that stuff doesn't get thrown out so far anymore, but sufficient. And I expect less problems in wet or very high grass.

Thanx again! Henk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts