My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 301016BE Snapper and for some reason I thought all RER snappers were Hi-Vac. Since my 30" is not Hi-Vac, it made me curious on the differences. What are the pros and cons of having a Hi-Vac vs my 30"? I purchased it in hopes of using a bagger, but it seems it is not designed for that? Please enlighten me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The 26" & 30" decks are the standard decks and the 28" & 33" are round hi-vac design. My dad had a 30" Snapper rer that had lift wings bolted onto the blade when he used the bagger assembly to pick up pine straw and it did a fair job.. My Snapper 33" hi-vac round deck had a lip all around the bottom of the deck designed to increase vacuum lift when the lift wings were attached to the blade but I never used them or a bagger on it. I only purchased it to gain 3" wider cut.
Both machines were really dependable and gave a really good cut but they were slow; mine went thru 3 engines before I finally sold it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I will add that my father ended up buying a 42" pull behind lawn sweeper that did a far better job than the bagger on his Snapper. The Snapper bagger clogged easily if the grass was the least bit damp and even worse when coupled with pine straw.
I gave my dad's old sweeper to my brother for his 26" Snapper after buying a slightly used 42" sweeper from my fil 20 some odd years ago; it's still going strong behind both my Cubs although I had to replace both wheels a couple of years ago.
You may want to consider skipping the Snapper bagging system regardless of the deck style if you plan on mowing/collecting anything other than dry grass/leaves and get a pull behind lawn sweeper; imho you'll be a lot happier with the results. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
the regular snapper deck is less robust and dents and bends easy also. the best thing about snappers is their bagging and vacuum ability. getting the reg deck over the hi vac dosnt make sense to me.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
The hi-vac deck seems more robust and less subject to denting and warping. Bagging or mulching requires moving significantly slower than if you are mowing with the chute wide open.
I have had no engine problems, and see no reason for the Snapper to eat engines more than any other mower. It provides twisting motion to a disk, while most others provide twisting motion to a pulley or combination of two pulleys. No difference in action or use. Some other factor must be involved.
I bought a 'muching kit', blade and outlet cover. The blade had/has built-in upturns at the outermost that are similar to the bolt-on wings. I have replaced the blade several times due to wearing of the tip and the corner where the 'wing' stands up from the blade surface. The metal is pretty hefty, absolutely not a thin sheet-metal stamping. I just wore them out. With the same engine. I have worn out the front tires to the point thorns would puncture both tire and tube and I got tired of patching the tubes.
I don't have a regular deck, but from what I have seen, I would definitely go with the Hi-vac if the price was within reason. It will last longer and is stronger. FWIW.
tom

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The hi-vac deck seems more robust and less subject to denting and warping. Bagging or mulching requires moving significantly slower than if you are mowing with the chute wide open.
I have had no engine problems, and see no reason for the Snapper to eat engines more than any other mower. It provides twisting motion to a disk, while most others provide twisting motion to a pulley or combination of two pulleys. No difference in action or use. Some other factor must be involved.
I bought a 'muching kit', blade and outlet cover. The blade had/has built-in upturns at the outermost that are similar to the bolt-on wings. I have replaced the blade several times due to wearing of the tip and the corner where the 'wing' stands up from the blade surface. The metal is pretty hefty, absolutely not a thin sheet-metal stamping. I just wore them out. With the same engine. I have worn out the front tires to the point thorns would puncture both tire and tube and I got tired of patching the tubes.
I don't have a regular deck, but from what I have seen, I would definitely go with the Hi-vac if the price was within reason. It will last longer and is stronger. FWIW.
tom

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I too have the "Hi-Vac" deck with " mulcher" kit. I love it. As you say, the Snapper system works well the belt driven blade helps protect the engine from damage ,when hitting an object. I like the Rotary "Copperhead" blades I have started ordering the whole wheel assemblies ,from Amazon ,not much more than a tire, with bearings and all. And those front wheels tires are a PITA to change. I don't remember the exact price , but quick delivery..

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have problems mulching with my Snapper Hi-Vac. I have the "Ninja" blade but it's still not the answer. Does anyone have an opinion on "Ninja VS "Copperhead" VS "Oregon? Thanks: Dave :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts