My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally Craig comes up with a sweet score for me. Today was one of those days. I was on my way to the former murder capital of the United States (aka Detroit) to pick up the vintage comms from ebay...they didn't sell there but I had been talking to the guy since I saw them first and he almost ended up giving them to me...almost...

Annnyway, I thought I'd do the search thing and check the surrounding area for more. I hit on a "Vintage Lawn Boy" which as we all know could be anything from a V series on down...:ROF BUT, it said model 7251 which sounded old. I was curious so (after I responded...) I did a search here. Try it and you'll find what I found. Interesting. But the LB site had it right, 1962 21" C-18 powered...complete with a bag, mag chute ( :thThumbsU ) the side discharge cover AND the manual. Buddy this thing is minty fresh. It runs too...I can't wait to get it all cleaned up and run it through some grass.

And the comm is pretty sweet too. I guess he tossed out the green deck and adjusters (amatures!!) but the rest of it was there, LB gas can too! Check out the pics...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nice finds! I like that commerical, but that 62 is cool with it's mag shute.......havent seen anything around here like a bricktop ever........someone has to have them in their basement/garage.......I just havent found them.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Nice score :thThumbsU Does that gas can say Lawn Boy on it? Haha nm I see you said it does already ;)

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Nice brickies! I had my eye on that Commercial since it first hit Ebay. Almost bought it then. Glad you ended up with it.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,766 Posts
Man what treasures! Amazing what folks have salted away and end up giving away.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sweet! Those tan and red ones are just too cool.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NICE Score!
I'm envious of that chute, oh and the mowers too.
Murray did you see there's one on ebay right now... linky

Thanks for the comments guys. I had to laugh at myself yesterday as I was on my way home I hadn't gone out and picked up a good vintage machine in a while and I was seriously thinking "now my collecting is done, this is the last one I need" Then I really did laugh out loud at myself when I remembered two things:
Need has NOTHING to do with it,
and There's always ONE MORE I'll absolutely need or fall in love with. :biglaugh:

But that's what I love about this hobby, aside from the fact that these machines will just run forever. I've let my back yard grow nice and long. I'll mix up some 16:1 and get out there today once it dries up. After that I'll wash it up and get some more pictures up here.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the c engine machines, but that 7251 is just plain AWESOME!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Hey, nicemowers.

If you can find it in your heart to part with that spare commercial fuel tank, 'm looking for one.

Cheers,
Coop

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Nice mowers... almost got that commercial, both are in "mint" condition.:fing32:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They're both in great shape. I haven't cleaned it up yet, but the underside of the 7251 doesn't appear to have any pitting under it. Tons of cobwebs and the little spider egg sacs (yuck!) but I didn't notice any significant pitting. I'm going to soak the carb in Seafoam overnight since it would run on starting fluid but wouldn't catch.

The guy with the comms is a very nice guy. He's a genuine person (even though he threw out the green deck, lol) and even gave me a couple Mountain Dews for the trip home lol...

I saw a comm LB in is open garage and asked him about it. He showed it to me and said he really had to pay for it (sounding like he paid a lot money-wise and perhaps it cost him some points with the wife too) It was a Briggs model, basically a 22261 with a Briggs on it, that shape of tank. My point was though that the guy is a nice guy and I'd buy from him again anytime.

Now I need two things:
Dry weather
Time (to mow)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Looks like you got a good deal. Those are some nice bricks! Nice gas can too.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Jim you scored a couple of gems there. They both look like they are in really good shape to. Man I wish I could just drive somewhere and pick up the old stuff like you guys can east if me. I think I'm the only guy in California with older Lawn Boys.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Very sweet mowers... that '62 model is really neat looking, and looks like it'll clean up real good too. You did good!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, I'm excited to mow then get that grime off it. From what I can tell, the guy said he last mowed with it in 80 something and the fuel valve was left on so the grime on the deck is first the 16:1 dripping out of the carb and then years of dust and dirt collecting where that oily gas sat wet. The stuff in the tank is just oil basically. Swished some seafoam then some Benol/gas mix around in it...she'll com back to life and once I get her all shined up she'll be a regular in my yards.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts