My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I found your forum on the net. I posted this into on the main forum page too. This looks like a great place. I want to introduce myself. I live in NH and like old machinery especially quality heavy duty stuff. I currently own and restored a 1979 Toro 1132 snow blower and a 1980 1132 that I use every winter. I also restore other vintage Toro machines as a hobby. I am looking into buying a 70's vintage Bolens H-14 w/snow blower attachment and rototiller. I want to restore it for my own personal use. Thanks for all the info on your forum. I'll update if/when I buy this machine.

One question:

Does anyone here own an H-14 and do you like it, is it a tough machine, is the snow blower a single or two stage and how well does it throw snow. Being in the Northeast I am hoping to get something that may rival my big 1132 Toro walk behind. Thank you for your help.

Ed-NH

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Welcome!These tube frame Bolens are great old machines,you won't regret buying it(if it's in good shape!)Post pics if you do.

·
Registered
748 Posts
:MTF_wel2: Welcome to MTF.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Does anyone here 1 own an H-14 and 2 do you like it, 3 is it a tough machine, 4 is the snow blower a single or two stage and how well does it throw snow. Being in the Northeast I am hoping to get something that may rival my big 1132 Toro walk behind. Thank you for your help.
Ed-NH
Welcome Ed -
I'm pretty new with the H14, also in the Northeast, but maybe a novice viewpoint will help.
1 yes
2 don't know, still getting it running in spite of the previous owner's modifications. I much prefer hydro to gear.
3 yes. It is also bone-simple. Well, the hydro drive is inherently complex, but so is a gear tranny
4 single stage. Often referred to as a "snowcaster"

for demonstrations of a Bolens performing snow removal or anything else, search youtube.com for Bolens and snowblower or plow or tiller or front end loader. It seems pretty impressive, and I am looking forward to trying it next winter. I hope to build a fabric cab for it.

Here you go, perfect, an H14 throwing snow on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KJ8BTieu4o

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Hey, Ed!
I think you'll find the Bolens tube frame tractors to be solid and dependable, and easy to work on. Parts are plentiful, both in NOS and pre-owned, because so many parts are inter-changeable over so many years and models.

Welcome, and get that H-14 in your garage ASAP!

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for your great replies. I am very anxious to head out tomorrow and check out this H-14. If I get it I will post the pics of it as it soon as I get it unloaded off of the truck!

Ed-

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome Ed, I have 3 H14 Bolens ( 1 running, 1 being restored, 1 for parts), and they are solid , 30 years old and will get another 30 years out of them. The snowblower I have is a single stage and it works fine. Engines seem to have the same weak spot- connecting rod breaks after years of use. So I have repowered using a Honda knock off. If you enjoy tinkering with old machines - Bolens is a good choice.
rust

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Welcome Ed, I have 3 H14 Bolens ( 1 running, 1 being restored, 1 for parts), and they are solid , 30 years old and will get another 30 years out of them. The snowblower I have is a single stage and it works fine. Engines seem to have the same weak spot- connecting rod breaks after years of use. So I have repowered using a Honda knock off. If you enjoy tinkering with old machines - Bolens is a good choice.
rust
I know what you mean about those connecting rods:banghead3 ..............Replaced quite a few my self

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just bought a 1556 and the owner said the engine has a "knock", I have not tore the engine all the way down yet, but it is not the valves- I am betting its the connecting rod. Anyone need engine parts? I already sold the carb.
rust

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rust
Hi Rust, thanks for the info on this. Yes I enjoy working on the older quality equipment so I'll do whatever I need to do to get the job done. I am interested in the snow blower attachment. I wonder how the single stage is compared to the dual stage that my big 11HP Toro walk behinds have. I see a lot of your posts here on the forum and have enjoyed the reading. I'll start a new post when the H-14 arrives...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts