My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BX24 Kubota User
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the eastern part of NY, The Hudson Valley area. Just the two of us now. But just aquired a three year old, no not a kid, rather a Kubota BX24. With it came a FEL, BH and 60" belly mower. I need some questions answered by the experts.

·
Registered
484 Posts
welcome.sounds like a nice machine.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome kubtook, good to have you aboard here and once you are able to, post your questions and the guys in the know on these machines will be happy to help :fing32:.

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
welcome to MTF!

·
BX24 Kubota User
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure just where to start a question. so I will start here and see just what happens....

About three weeks ago I was able to purchased a three year old BX24 with a little over 130 hours. Think the unit came from the W VA area. A real clean machine with a fel, bh and mid mower. Probably used mostly for mowing.

I just found out tonight as I was checking the tire pressure and found that the rear tires were filled with something. Because of it being from the VA area, I do not know if it can handle the NY (mid) winter weather. How, do I test to see what it contains. Looks like it is water base as there appeared to be no oil residue with the spillage. (thanks).~.~.~>

PS: If this is not the correct place to start, please let me know so I will not be doing anything wrong!!:thanku:

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Welcome aboard kubtook, 130 hrs is just barely broke in. You should get yrs and yrs of great service out of it.
My guess is your rear tires were filled w/a calcium chloride and water solution. Thats the most common and it won't freeze. Most of W. VA is high elevation and I would suspect that the temps are similar to your winter weather if not harsher, so I'd think any reputable dealer would have never filled any tractor tires w/straight water. I'd also doubt an owner w/enough sense to fill them on his own would use straight water either. Course, one never knows :D
I wouldn't know any definitive tests to determine if it has CaCI, perhaps a tire dealer would know?
There is a long term negative outcome to running a CaCI fill as it is highly corrosive to metal over time. I had an old TE20 w/CaCI filled rears and the edges were corroding away. The tires wer fine but the rims were shot.
The best fill used today is called Rimguard and it's a beet juice based fill that is not corrosive and is basically harmful to animals & vegitation, course it's also the most expensive.
Alot of folks use anti-freeze or window washer fluid which is no where near as corrosive as CaCI but can be harful to vegitation and animals in large quantities.

Theres been quite a bit of debate here over the advantages of filled (loaded) rears over going with either wheel weight's, an implement on the 3ph such as a boxblade, or a dedicated ballast box being the best counter weight for FEL work. Of course your BH makes the best counterbalance but if you operate alot w/o it mounted, like I do, I personally like filled rears but theres others that like their preferred way to counterbalance.
I have Rimguard in the rears of my BX23.
Theres quite a few folks w/BX22's, BX23's, BX24's and the new BX25's (all BX TLB's) so feel free to post any and all questions you have, I'm sure you'll get a good answer from someone here :D
Dave

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You could always drain a little bit of it out into a zip lock baggie and toss it in your freezer? If it freezes in there you'll be in big trouble come winter. I can't imagine anyone using just water... but then again who knows. I live in SE Ohio on the WVa border and it gets rather cold here.. other parts of WVa get really cold though.

Good luck, I believe my father has narrowed his decision down to an 08 BX24 as well. He found a low hour unit that has 0 hours on the BH and mower. And about 200 hours on the loader and tractor. The dealer also has another unit with 400 hours that is an 07 with the same options but also includes the bagger system. All attachments were used on it, but the dealer is asking the same price. I'm pretty sure he'll be bringing one of them home. So before he goes up this week i'll be posting some questions as well.

Thanks and good luck,
Nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts