My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been lurking on MTF watching my friends and wishing my life was different. I had a bad work related injury that took me out of the hobby for most part. I can only do so much. My dad is still the driving force but his age and ability has waned as well. We still putter with the tractors and get deals as they pop up. My neighbor stopped yesterday to tell my dad a fellow was going to scrap a old tractor and he told the guy he would tell us. Well we went and called the guy and made arrangements to go look at it today.
It turned out to be a Ford LGT145, a machine I never owned nor saw before. The guy was super nice and told us his dad bought it new and knew its whole history. Guess the engine was taken down in '80's for unleaded friendly valve seats and other minor work, unsure of total rebuild. Guess it ran but father parked it and son got it to fix up but neglected outside for years. Gas cap leaked water in tank all these years so carb acts rusted. I verified starter works and it doesn't have spark, most likely points dirty. Need TLC and other work. It doesn't have deck but is set up for plowing. I hope to get it working for snow work. Dad is onboard for a restore but he waffles now. Hope to continue back onto forum so more.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
2,769 Posts
:thThumbsU

·
10,202 Posts
Foot hydro and hydraulic lift make for a nice snow removal machine. Nice thing about the os Fords is that you can find single or two stage blowers, they made both for the open sides.

·
Administrator
13,455 Posts
Glad to see you back on here, Eric. Now you have a new project tractor that may provide a new learning experience. Enjoy it, but don't reinjure yourself. :)

·
Administrator
4,570 Posts
Love it....my favorite tractor. I just got a 145 myself a few weeks ago. It completes my set, one each of 10, 12, 14 and 16 hp open sided LGTs.

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Al! Great to see you! I messaged Mikey right when I got home about it! It just rough to want to mess with the tractors but pain limits me so much. Guess I got to slow down and try what I can like Tractorholic!

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love it....my favorite tractor. I just got a 145 myself a few weeks ago. It completes my set, one each of 10, 12, 14 and 16 hp open sided LGTs.
Hey Poncho! I had a Ford but the newer Gilson made from '80's. Opposed Briggs and deck, worked great. I saw the grill when we rolled in and said its a good one!

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,821 Posts
Nice you were able to rescue it! Just in the nick of time.
Keep on keeping on!

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice you were able to rescue it! Just in the nick of time.

Keep on keeping on!

Hi JP! Good to see you. Hope it is easy one. Btw, I messaged you back a bit ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice score, Eric, hope you and Pops can get it sorted out and use it!
Hi Mike! How you been? Yea we just were in right place at right time! It should run easy enough I hope! Need to get it mobile though! Yikes it is heavy!! Truck/trailer was a lot less bouncy on ride home!

·
Administrator
14,841 Posts
Hey, what a nice way to start my MTF day with an Eric and dad tractor score fix up adventure thread! I've never had the privilege to own one, but have always admired those Fords. Now, are those tube framed Fords built by Jacobsen or? Seems that info is rolling around inside my head(along with a couple linty Milk Duds). Can't wait to see what the "Dynamic Duo" does with it. I see shiny and well running in it's future.

Good to see you back around, bud!

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, what a nice way to start my MTF day with an Eric and dad tractor score fix up adventure thread! I've never had the privilege to own one, but have always admired those Fords. Now, are those tube framed Fords built by Jacobsen or? Seems that info is rolling around inside my head(along with a couple linty Milk Duds). Can't wait to see what the "Dynamic Duo" does with it. I see shiny and well running in it's future.

Hey Ellis! I never really left, came daily but long story on not posting. I need to learn on these machines. I was told it is a Jacobsen made machine. Very well built too!

·
Administrator
4,570 Posts

Yes, built by Jacobsen...Starting in 66, I think....The tube frame open sided ones were 1972-76....Close sided 77-83. Basically the same except for the tin. After that, Gilson took over I believe with a whole new design.

As for weight, the 145 weighs about 800# without any attachments.

·
Super Moderator
25,872 Posts
Eric, nice to see you back on here posting! Looks like a great project for the both of you to focus on. Please be careful we don't want you hurt; I've resorted to chain hoists and other lifting devices to keep from back injuries, they've been perfect and I can still work on things, hope you can do something similar.

Subscribed!

·
Administrator
12,085 Posts
Hi Mike! How you been? Yea we just were in right place at right time! It should run easy enough I hope! Need to get it mobile though! Yikes it is heavy!! Truck/trailer was a lot less bouncy on ride home!
I bet it road nice and smooth with that machine on it, makes a big difference with some weight on the deck.

Business as usual here, Eric, nothing major to report.

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eric, nice to see you back on here posting! Looks like a great project for the both of you to focus on. Please be careful we don't want you hurt; I've resorted to chain hoists and other lifting devices to keep from back injuries, they've been perfect and I can still work on things, hope you can do something similar.

Subscribed!

How you doing my friend! Yea I got injured a little over three years now. Not much relief so just grin and bear it.

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well we messed a little with it. Got the er tire on bead and took chains off. Dad swapped front tires out for some better ones in stock. We swapped battery cables out and got a battery on it. Solenoid is no good, used a jumper to crank it. Checked points and now had spark. It fired on choke cleaner. Took gas tank off and found hole in bottom. Found a snowblower tank fit fairly well and might stay on for a bit. Carb was messed up by PO. Bowl is bent like and wasn’t touching gasket. Might be wrong one. Will look into carb further.

·
Administrator
7,066 Posts
Nice to see you back!! What a cool tractor, I love the oldies. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I saw someone comment on one of your videos that they have a source for replacement broken grills. Hopefully this one will become a keeper for you!

I'm tuned in for the new season!

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice to see you back!! What a cool tractor, I love the oldies. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I saw someone comment on one of your videos that they have a source for replacement broken grills. Hopefully this one will become a keeper for you!

I'm tuned in for the new season!

Bwhaha!! Only you Austen!!! Thanks man! At least we know it runs.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts