My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!

Best used mower for an average acre lot terrain and some gardening?

• John Deere

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cub Cadet

• Husqvarna

• Toro

• Craftsman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best riding mower for an acre lot and slopes over flat terrain? My new neighbors (I just moved here a few months back.) seem to ALL have either John Deere or Cub Cadet mowers. I was eyeing a Husqvarna a few weeks back but after some much needed research and friendly asked opinions; I think I’ve found one I can live with for the $1000 max I want to spend. It’s a John Deere LX 277 for a grand with all new fluids, filters, and freshly serviced PTO and blades. Excited for this but the big deal is the 17hp Kawasaki air-cooled engine and Tuff Torq 60 hydro transmission that it has. Any advice would be appreciated as I go to see it tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I assume you already made your choice. 17HP is plenty for a 42" deck. Most lawnmowers have more issues with transaxles. The engine HP is rarely a problem. Bigger engines are cheap so they tend to be bigger than necessary. Makes it easier to sell them as being better.

The K60 is a fine transaxle as long as you don't need difflock, which you don't for relatively flat terrain.

You probably would have gotten a lot more feedback in the Deere sub-forum.

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

It depends upon where you are in the world and whether you are in an urban area or a rural one. When buying used, it is extremely beneficial that you have some mechanical and electrical knowledge and/or a nice dealer nearby to take care of problems. The title mentions a difficulty, but is not further explained. That's what Introductions are for, to tell us others more about you so that we can give better advice.
Where I am, you have either the big box stores or almost nothing used in the L & G area. That is, nothing used that isn't beat to death.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts