My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i have a couple of questions about my engine i recently picked it up but engine was stuck so mystery oiled it and little by little back and forth she freed up good news right well at tdc there is a little bit of play the crank has a tiny bit of play up and down and a little bit from flywheel to pully wanted to know if this is normal? also i didnt know they had roller bearings on the crank ,i drained the old oil and split the case to make sure there was no major damage inside . next question while i have it apart should i change out those bearings and seals thanks

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
hello i have a couple of questions about my engine i recently picked it up but engine was stuck so mystery oiled it and little by little back and forth she freed up good news right well at tdc there is a little bit of play the crank has a tiny bit of play up and down and a little bit from flywheel to pully wanted to know if this is normal? also i didnt know they had roller bearings on the crank ,i drained the old oil and split the case to make sure there was no major damage inside . next question while i have it apart should i change out those bearings and seals thanks
I'm not sure about what kind of engine you have but up and down play in the connecting rod is a no-no for any engine. It may run but not for long, the only for sure way to diagnose this is to take it apart.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I asked the same ? on a nother site.they said when piston gets to top dead center crank goes side ways. thats where play comes in.piston half way down the bore no play.or a tiny amount.I,m working on same engine right now.get manuel off of mtf.libary.12 hp tec.:trink39:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I asked the same ? on a nother site.they said when piston gets to top dead center crank goes side ways. thats where play comes in.piston half way down the bore no play.or a tiny amount.I,m working on same engine right now.get manuel off of mtf.libary.12 hp tec.:trink39:
Well when the piston hits TDC it will stop moving for a second as the crank rotates, that is normal.

·
Banned
2 Posts
well to me i dont care about the play yes there is a little in every motor at top dead center ..What would concern me is 1 why did it seize 2 is the rings screwed and the damage to the cyl walls 3 is the rod and crank scored 4 its a Tecumseh tec motor noted for bad valves and throwing rods...You can rebuild it yes but it wont be cheap ..If youhave to rebulid do it right dont just replace the rings and hone it replace the rod also ....Trust me i have done it the cheap way and payed the price ..I might as well have flushed the cash down the crapper

·
Banned
2 Posts
I don't think the HH120 castiron engine were noted for bad valves and throwing rods.

i have 3 here all with bad valves ....And 2 with chucked rods (not sure if was caused by fuel getting in to base )These engines were very well maintained with SAE 30 and Lucas ....they also like to leak around the base gasket 5 this year i have replaced on customers riders .... oh and the carbs are garbage to ....I dont mind fixing them it makes me lots of money but i looked in to them and spoke with a few of the other small engine shops around here in my area and they all say the same thing as i did i will say the cast iron block is alot better then the old ones thats for sure..but they are Not a very well liked motor in these parts maybe its to cold for them lol but we all have are own preferences....My point is if you want it to last dont cheap out on it do it right if you dont you wont like the out come

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
This thread is about the castiron hh120 tecumseh engine, not the the cheaper one's made later. So your first post was misleading to the OP.

i have 3 here all with bad valves ....And 2 with chucked rods (not sure if was caused by fuel getting in to base )These engines were very well maintained with SAE 30 and Lucas ....they also like to leak around the base gasket 5 this year i have replaced on customers riders .... oh and the carbs are garbage to ....I dont mind fixing them it makes me lots of money but i looked in to them and spoke with a few of the other small engine shops around here in my area and they all say the same thing as i did i will say the cast iron block is alot better then the old ones thats for sure..but they are Not a very well liked motor in these parts maybe its to cold for them lol but we all have are own preferences....My point is if you want it to last dont cheap out on it do it right if you dont you wont like the out come

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
small fry -
1. if u had the motor apart would you do those bearings and seals on the crank
2. how hard is it to get these parts

·
Banned
2 Posts
This thread is about the castiron hh120 tecumseh engine, not the the cheaper one's made later. So your first post was misleading to the OP.

.. I stated what i have found over the 10 plus years of bizz in this trade ..Maybe the Canadian version is just garbage not sure or did they just send us the blems ..Or they just bring me all the crap ones ..Not miss leading just my observation...Not all of them are junk i have one in my 95 MTD MASTER CRAFT Runs and works perfect never had a prob other then the carb ...I have an older one i put on my dads rider works great also . but i have seen all models sleeve or no sleeve with the same out come . you have your opinion and i have mine ...

To The OP sorry if i have miss lead you not what i am trying to do here i am giving the info i have Observed and heard over the 10 plus years i have been around in this trade ...Just do me a favor If your going to rebuild it do it right dont cheap out on it and do the proper maintenance and it will treat you well

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
roughrider; IDK if you know exactly which engine is being talked about here; it's a horizontal all-cast-iron engine that has not even been manufactured since about 1993.
It appears you are talking about the newer aluminum (tho some had a cast iron sleeve in them) vertical tecumsehs. Completely different animal.

·
Banned
2 Posts
roughrider; IDK if you know exactly which engine is being talked about here; it's a horizontal all-cast-iron engine that has not even been manufactured since about 1993.
It appears you are talking about the newer aluminum (tho some had a cast iron sleeve in them) vertical tecumsehs. Completely different animal.

i know the one hes talking about ...I may be wrong ..I know for a few years they had a bad run on alot of there motors from the snow blower ones to the lawn tractor ones ....Yes they did make some new ones that are crap i dont like the tec motors at all have had nothing but trouble with them ...And they have made some really good ones as well ...I might have got it confused with one of there crap ones they had ..Hard to keep them all straight anymore

DISREGARD ANY OF my earlier posts ...I may have gotten it mixed up with another motor ....JUST rebuild it right that's all good luck with your build

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
small fry -
1. if u had the motor apart would you do those bearings and seals on the crank
2. how hard is it to get these parts

I'm guessing this engine was set up from sitting around, maybe outside even. Sounds like your engine has a lot of hours on it. They will go a couple thousand hours easy. Those are Timkin tapered bearings and last a long time.

I have a handful of these engines and if you grab the crank ,they do not have any play in the crank when everything is right. I did have one with end play and I fixed that with the bearing plate under the flywheel.

This manual has everything you need to know for rebuilding. It tells you what to change and how to tell what needs to be changed.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/reference/tecumseh8to18castiron.pdf

Some parts you can find and some are know longer made.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts