My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have hh120 that will not start unless I spray starter fluid down the carb.

New gas lines, cleaned out tank, new gas, cleaned carb, new filter.

Has a bright blue spark. Float is set right, Has fuel in the bowl. Main jet and idle jet set at one turn.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Heres what I would do to help figure out whats wrong with it a little better.

Start it with starting fluid, and use it as normal.

Then let it sit overnight.

Check the bowl the next day to see if theres gas in it.

Cause there should be enough gas in the bowl to start up after sitting over night.

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
From experience with mine on my 1970 SS12, until the fuel filter (mine is located parallel to battery tray) has no air in it, it will do that. I find if you pull the plug and spin the engine over, letting it pump fuel into a gas can will aid in "priming" the filter. Another thing to check is your carb tuning, my engine will not run lean, or even to where one would expect "normal" settings to be at, mine will only run when it's rich enough that if you put a load on it fast or goose the throttle it puffs black smoke.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres what I would do to help figure out whats wrong with it a little better.

Start it with starting fluid, and use it as normal.

Then let it sit overnight.

Check the bowl the next day to see if theres gas in it.

Cause there should be enough gas in the bowl to start up after sitting over night.
If the bowl is empty what does that mean?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
If the bowl doesnt have enough gas to start it after sitting overnight, your float isnt adjusted right, or you have another fuel delivery issue.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Should there be a restriction if I unhook the line from the tank and blow in it. I just took off the line from the gas tank and blew in it to see if I could fill the fuel filter i could not blow threw the line it. I could hear a noise in the pump which seemed like it closed when I blew threw it.

I have quick question are the points to the main jet and idle jet suppose to be points like a needle or are they suppose to be flat, because mine are both flat.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Check for fuel at various points in the system.

Unhook the line going into the pump, will fuel flow from the tank out the link?
Yes? Then that part of your line is good
No? Kink or blockage in the line

Once you have gas there, reconnect the line to the pump. Next unhook the line going into the carb from the pump. Crank the engine over. Does gas come out?
Yes? Pump and line are good, problem is in the carb.
No? Pump is not doing its job.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just put brand new fuel lines on the carb so I don't think the lines are bad. What i was wondering was I pulled the line off my tank and blew in it to see if I could blow fuel into the carb. There is flap in the pump that seems to be closing when i blow into the line because it doesn't allow me it blow fuel into the carb.

If I take the line off tank and crank the engine over should the fuel line have a suction on it from trying to suck up fuel.

·
Tractor addict
2,857 Posts
If there is air in your filter, likely hood is it's blocking the travel of gas to your carb after shut down and gas evaporates from the bowl. Best way I have found so far to fix this is to drive it up and down a few hills, or by filling the gas tank, and opening the fuel valve to put the gas back into a gas container while moving the filter around to get the air out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys are awesome, I just set the main and idle at 2 turns and it started right up!!!!

I am glad I asked here first instead of tearing into the carb. I didn't think the carb was bad because I made sure everything was clean and clear before I put everything back togeather.

Now the process of fine tuning the carb and restoring the tractor.

Thank you everyone for your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts