My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 71 Custom XL with an HH100 points engine quit today. I just got it back together recently. I checked for spark and none. I had put new points and condenser in it but decided to pull the cover off any way and look at points. The points were stuck open cause the push rod wasn't going back in. I pushed it back in and spun the engine and they opened again but the rod didn't go back in. I tried to get the rod out and it was brittle and broke off flush. Now I guess I have to take the side cover off to get to it right ? Also, where can I get a new breaker push rod ?

·
Registered
173 Posts
That's a common problem. They are made out of bakelite so a magnet isn't going to pull it.

The plunger isn't made anymore. A lot of folks have made replacement plungers out of brass stock. Do a google search for HH-100 Points Plunger and you will find any number of discussions.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Ya theres two parts to that system, the magnet and the points. if you know that the points are good, and you have no spark, check your mag

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Take the small part that broke off and mic it.
Check the size and find a drill bit equal or smaller than the broken part.
Drill out whats left of the plunger and install a new one.
The fibered drilled out parts wont hurt your engine.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
whats a kohler points plunger in comparison? might be able to use one of them and cut it down...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made one out of a 9/64 drill bit. Back in business. Had to take the case cover off though to get the old one out though !!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 71 Custom XL with an HH100 points engine quit today. I just got it back together recently. I checked for spark and none. I had put new points and condenser in it but decided to pull the cover off any way and look at points. The points were stuck open cause the push rod wasn't going back in. I pushed it back in and spun the engine and they opened again but the rod didn't go back in. I tried to get the rod out and it was brittle and broke off flush. Now I guess I have to take the side cover off to get to it right ? Also, where can I get a new breaker push rod ?
you could use a nova 2 to tkae place of the points, they are like 15 dollars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts