My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will an HH100 Tecumseh Engine from a sears Suburban tractor work on my 1970 Custom 10xl

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
The Suburban 10 was a 1967, so it might have points. I think it should work

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I have a 1971 Custom 10xl with no engine that I want to restore. I can get the 10hp Suburban engine or on Monday I am going to look at a parts tractor. On the 71 Custom at least the clutch pedal isn't mounted to the engine so I technically put any engine in there. Do I want points or should I go with something else ?

·
Registered
870 Posts
pete97

Again there are trade offs. The Tecumseh "solid-state" (electronic) ignitions are EXPENSIVE to repair if one goes south. There are ways to repair or modify it, to get it running again if it goes bad, but it does cost.

The Points ignition, well requires points. The can also be somewhat difficult to find, but are definitely less costly. There are also ways to mod the points ignition to "electronic type, with out using the expensive Tecumseh parts (Points-saver is the name of one system.)

I do not have experience with the Tecumseh points ignition personally (both of my tractors are too new at 1974 & 1978), but it is what I think I would rather have, if I had the choice.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I would be ok with a points engine. They do use a different key switch then the Solid state model, So you will have to change that and some wiring. Even the 71 used a different switch. It's no big deal though, you have to do these things often when repowering old tractors.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. The 71 I picked up today is a good starting point. Someone cut part of the front grill out on the left. I am going to look at some parts tractors down in Bedford Pa. I'll let you know what I find !!! Pete

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
71 suburban or custom?

·
Registered
870 Posts
pete

if you are going to Elwood's lawn & garden, I think you'll find he has a good selection. My suggestion is to wear boots and insect repellent after the weather PA has had. I bought my 3pt tiller from him earlier this summer. Keep us posted of the progress

and WE WANT PICTURES!!! :thThumbsU:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Definitely take pics!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mainly need an engine, electric start of some sort, a gas tank, new front grill and 2 head lights. Should I go with a parts tractor with an engine or a newer engine with electric start and get away from points and the SSI ignition? Pete

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Find a running engine with SSI, or even a cast iron Briggs&Stratton should work, then you could do a Magnetron conversion ( easy and common ).. If you get a Techumsea with SSI. just spend some time to find the parts for a points conversion, so if it ever goes bad.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
OK I have a question can a SSI engine be converted to points and if so how involved is it?
I thought there was no place to attach the points or a point opener plunger.
GB in MN

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
OK I have a question can a SSI engine be converted to points and if so how involved is it?
I thought there was no place to attach the points or a point opener plunger.
GB in MN
Never done it but I have heard you need the engine side case off a points engine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I am back from Ellwood's. Lots for stuff there. I came away with a HH100 engine that was from a 66 Suburban 12. It has the starter generator on it and I got the voltage regulator too. Also got a new/used front grill for the 71 Custom 10Xl. Now i need a carb rebuild kit for the engine. The sears number is 143.579072 on the engine. I looked it up on the sears parts site and it says the carb number is 631226 but not available. Went on partstree.com and it says carb# 631226 was replaced by 631564 which isn't available. But the rebuild kit for 631226 is available and so is the carb. Am I using the right number? Does the # on the sears parts site work on partstree? Anyone know if this is a universal # ? Thanks Pete

·
dab18351
174 Posts
The carb i believe is an LME 12 like what i have on my 1970 custom 10xl..Does it have the Walbro fuel pump on it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts