My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are inclined to put a fuel stabilizer in your equipment for the winter. I use Sta-bil. You can read up on it Here

John

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts
If you are inclined to put a fuel stabilizer in your equipment for the winter. I use Sta-bil. You can read up on it Here

John
Interesting thought, but I have never used any kind of fuel additive and have never had any problems that would make me inclined to.

My tractor only runs about 35 hrs a year, 25 or so in summer, 10 in winter if we get a few snows. It always starts right up. In fact, it ran for 16 years and only need the carb adjusted twice. The carb has never been apart, last spring in got a good "inplace" cleaning and adjusting.

I always buy name brand (BP) fuel, often mid premium because I often fill up the cans while filling my truck, and it does not like regular.

Sheldon

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I use stabil every year. What has worked for me it to fill the tank, shut off the fuel, run the engine until it quits and then shut off the ignition. My equipment usually sits from November to late March.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the crappy gas sold these days I am astonished that your gas does not turn into mud over the winter.
Also... air cooled engines should have at least 89 octane because there is not enough alcohol in 87 to cool the engines properly. I alsways use 92 octane in my air cooled equipment. Stihl INSISTS you use at least 89 octane in their products.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stabil's instructions say to fill your tank add the stabil and then let the equipment idle for about 5 minutes, that's what I do and have good luck with doing it that way.

I use stabil every year. What has worked for me it to fill the tank, shut off the fuel, run the engine until it quits and then shut off the ignition. My equipment usually sits from November to late March.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Not trying to contradict you, but on my machines, if it has a shut off valve, I shut it off and run the carb out of gas. If it doesn't, I make sure there is enough gas in the tank to keep the carb "wet". Never Had a problem with this method, knock on wood.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Must be nice for it to get a break. I had to stop mowing due to more rain/rain storms again at 1730 today. :( I usually have to mow atleast once a month from Dec to March when it starts raining again. But the fuel always gets either Stabil Marine or B&S Fuel Stabilizer in it. B&S now sells one for Ethanol that looks like Stabil's.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
With the crappy gas sold these days I am astonished that your gas does not turn into mud over the winter.
Also... air cooled engines should have at least 89 octane because there is not enough alcohol in 87 to cool the engines properly. I alsways use 92 octane in my air cooled equipment. Stihl INSISTS you use at least 89 octane in their products.
Interesting that you say this, I got pooh-poohed on here by a guy who said that no small engine should ever be run on anything higher than 87 (I was running some 91 through as I figured it would help clean things out).

i use Seafoam year-round, my 18-G gets used a couple times a month at least over the winter, and I try to keep the tank full to minimize condensation.

·
Premium Member
9,779 Posts
I put prophylactic Stabil in every can of gas year round. I used to have problems every fall with the snow blower and every spring with the mower until I found Stabil. Wouldn't run my equipment without it!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm with Sheldon on this topic. I've never used a fuel additive and have never had a fuel related issue on any small engine. As an example I used my pressure washer in Septemebr for the first time in some 2 years. It has a Honda 5 HP engine. I was worried the gas had gone bad or that the carb would be gunked up. It had about a half a tank of the old gas in it. Hooked up the garden hose, set the choke and she fired right up on the fourth pull. Once it warmed up she ran great for a couple hours of deck cleaning. Ran out the old gas and now it has about a half a tank of "new" gas in it. Of course the new gas came from one of my gas cans which I only fill two to three times a year. I guess I'm just lucky but I have yet to be bitten by bad fuel.

Funny thing is all my cans are now empty so tomorrow I'm planning to fill them for the winter. Now I'm questioning what grade to buy and wether or not I should add stabilizer, I guess it couldn't hurt...

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts
One more thought, or and expansion of something I said earlier.

Except when forced by circumstance to do other wise, I always buy BP fuel, which here is the Mid Atlantic is the same fuel once sold by AMOCO.

It has been my experiance with cars as well as small engines, that the quality of brand specific additives does matter and some brands are better than others. AND, no name gas has who knows what quality of additives.

AMOCO, now BP, does not use the east coast pipeline, they do not share fuel depots with the other brands that do. They control the quality of their product from crude to the pump - so does TEXACO and SUNOCO. These products also come 100% from North American wells.

In my experiance they are higher quality and I will always make them my first choice regardless of price.

Shell and Exxon/Mobil are in my experiance some of the worst fuels out there, and, interstingly they import more oil than any North American brand other than except CITCO.

Buy good fuel, have less problems - be it your car or your tractor. My 2000 F150 pickup has 180,000 miles on it - runs like new - never had a "throttle body" service, seldom has ever run on anything but 89 octane BP fuel.

As noted before, my 16G has never had the carb apart in 16 years - has only needed adjustment twice, a good inplace cleaning once - 540 hrs, 16 years, always good name brand fuel. If fuel was going to be a problem, I think such light use would have showed its face.

Sheldon

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stabil also cleans out your fuel system.

I'm with Sheldon on this topic. I've never used a fuel additive and have never had a fuel related issue on any small engine. As an example I used my pressure washer in Septemebr for the first time in some 2 years. It has a Honda 5 HP engine. I was worried the gas had gone bad or that the carb would be gunked up. It had about a half a tank of the old gas in it. Hooked up the garden hose, set the choke and she fired right up on the fourth pull. Once it warmed up she ran great for a couple hours of deck cleaning. Ran out the old gas and now it has about a half a tank of "new" gas in it. Of course the new gas came from one of my gas cans which I only fill two to three times a year. I guess I'm just lucky but I have yet to be bitten by bad fuel.

Funny thing is all my cans are now empty so tomorrow I'm planning to fill them for the winter. Now I'm questioning what grade to buy and wether or not I should add stabilizer, I guess it couldn't hurt...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I always use sea-foam have great luck so stick with it!!

·
Banned
271 Posts
I keep Stabil in all my OPE no matter how long it will sit, keeps the fuel system cleaner and no worry if it gets parked for months at a time. I mix it in every time i fill my five gallon jugs.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Where would you buy that?? LOL

Seriously, i haven't seen non-ethanol fuel in about 20 years.
We are getting gas stations that sell it all over the place down here. At about a $0.44 price increase over regular.

·
Banned
271 Posts
Don't see that up here in corn country. If i saw non ethanol fuel i would take a picture of it with my phone for proof as nobody would believe me!

I only know of one gas station around here that even sells premium, all the rest are 87 or 89 octane, unleaded or unleaded plus as the stations call it here.

I think that last time i saw non ethanol gas was nearly 20 years ago when i was down in Missouri. I might have seen one here in that 20 years but sure don't recall it.

You should see what happens when southerners come up here and stop to get gas, they first ask what this E85 is since its so much cheaper, like they have never heard of it. Oh and then i love it when they put diesel in cause its always a green pump and nozzle here, which evidently green is premium at some other chains around the country?? I think thats how one guy that put diesel in his Audi explained it. That was fun trying to get the diesel out, the car had an anti-syphon thing in the fill hose and tank opening connection, so it was a nightmare pulling the tank and pump module to suck it out.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts