My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of a friend......:fing20: stopped by my shop and ask if I could replace his 8N carburetor. I admitted to him that I'm more familiar with small, Japanese diesels but that didn't seem to matter to him. He's been quoted upwards of $400 to replace his and I asked why doesn't he rebuild it? He quite honestly admitted he's never done this and doesn't know how.

Since I haven't seen the tractor, don't know if I'll even work on it, would it be possible to quote me a parts rebuild kit, including the float versus a replacement carburetor?

No hurry and thanks for reading,

Mark

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,527 Posts
Mark, I sent you an e mail on "How To" rebuild the carb, let me know if you can open the pdf..:fing32:

·
MTF Advertiser
289 Posts
There is a thread around here debating the different carburetors available for Ford 8N. Ken might be able to direct you to it. We are selling the Marvel Schebler which is a more economical version. Some people (especially those USING the tractor, not just showing it) prefer the more expensive Zenith version (which I do not offer, but I assume is what he is being quoted $400.00 for).

You can purchase a brand new Marvel Schebler style carburetor from us for: $149.10.

We also offer rebuild kits. I am assuming he has the original Marvel Schebler carb on the tractor (that is what these parts are for). Before making the purchase, we might want to verify the manufacturer number on the carb just to make sure it hasn't been replaced with something else over the years.

I have a complete carburetor kit for $47.63.

We also offer a carburetor float for $15.20.

If he has a different carb on it, I can certainly help him out with parts for that, I just need the manufacturer number to match the kit and float.

Good luck! Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Elizabeth Gross

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Elizabeth,

I'm hearing (all second hand information) that the tractor owner has a whole host of problems including a 3PH that wont stay up. This job may not happen as I've been asked twice what this would cost and what that would cost...etc. etc. I was willing to help out originally but now I think I'm in some kind of bidding war with another mechanic.

If it does happen, I promise I'll let you know!

Mark

·
MTF Advertiser
289 Posts
Sorry to hear that Mark, the bidding war isn't good for either mechanic or the customer. No one *really* wants a discount job. If you decide to take the job, I'm glad to help anytime.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

1 - 6 of 6 Posts